Building Regs Documents - Translation for mere mortals??

is there any such thing as an independent building control expert i could hire for a small fee to come over and discuss the job with me and advise me on how i could achieve compliance?

I think much of my problem is ignorance - if i could get some advice and all the info i need then i would like to do the job properly. My BCO told me that his job does not involve designing and that I as the homeowner am responsible for ensuring that the builder does it right - but at the moment i do not know what is right.

I am reluctant to keep phoning the bco as he seems rather brusque and unwilling to help. Could i ring a different BCO in another area since the building regs are universal?

Thanks

Mo

Sponsored Links
A building surveyor, a plan drawer/architectural technician, or engineer or suchlike will be able to advise

You probably want a brief report/specification/schedule preparing to state what work you want, what work is required, and how it should be done - which will include materials to be used and perhaps quantities. You can then use this for getting comparable quotes.

The problem may be that whoever does this, will presumably mention what works require a b/regs application. But if you then choose to ignore this, then it may invalidate the rest of his advice - ie if he gives crap advice, then you have no comeback

If you are going down this route, before you engage someone, you should tell him exactly what you want, what you want him to do, and what you expect of him. You want someone to come in tell you what you need for a fixed fee. What you don't want is a report full of technical mumbo-jumbo, with lots of useless information, recommending further tests or investigations, and at extra costs

Ask for something like "a schedule of works with appropriate advice and comment as to compliance with any statutory or other compulsory regulations". And ask for it to be comprehensive but presented in layman's terms.

The fee will be determined by how much detail you want. You should discuss this, and come to a compromise - pay a little as possible for the information you need. Don't pay for irrelevant detail which is more than you require

Many thanks Woody - i am tempted to print off your post and read it verbatim to whoever i get in to give the advice ;)

What you said is exactly what i need!

Sponsored Links
Sorry your local BCO is being a tosser.
Why not google "approved inspector" and find one that is in your area. They might be more helpfull than your LABC as they also are grabbing as much work as they can, just make sure you dont start work before getting it sorted with them as if you do LABC can nick the job back if they check up when the initial notice is received.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back