Building Regs & Existing Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've searched the forums and can't find the answer to the following situation we are looking at.

At the back of our house we have a 6m x 3m conservatory which is old and leaks so we are looking to changed into a permanent room with proper tiled roof.

Building control have told use the floor will need to be removed and insulated with 75mm kingspan and then covered with concrete, we were hoping that as we were not doing anything with the floor (increasing or decreasing size) we would not have to do this and it would save us a lot of money in the build. I can appreciate if this was a new build it would need to be done in this way, but when the floor is already like this why would it need to changed? If we don't change the room the floor stays un-insulated. Has anyone had experince in this type of situation? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Conservatory's are exempt from Building Regulations and as such do not comply, as you wish to build an extension that complies with Building Regs then the floor will also need to comply and be insulated.

If you are converting anything to become a habitable room, then you will need to insulate the floor (and walls and roof) in the same way as if a new extension

Thanks both, was hoping I could get away with installing insulation above the concrete floor before installing a wooden floor but having to put 3" of insulation down puts that of the window.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you put the insulation between the new timber joists?

How much depth have you got to play with between existing concrete level and proposed new floor level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back