Building regs extending heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of carrying out a loft conversion. I wanted to extend the heating up into the loft and do the work myself. However, the architect drawings have stated that this needs to be done by a competent engineer and inspected. I have extended the heating system down stairs and I am very capable of doing it in the attic. I know that the boiler can handle the extra. Is this a hard and fast rule or is it just over zealousness of the architect? I am not going to touch the fuel side of the system only extend the wet side...

Sponsored Links
He may not be being over zealous, he could just be covering his back and recommending you get it done by a gas engineer. Or he may just be ignorant of the Regs!

Anyway you can do the work yourself though I think BC may want to have a looksee at your handywork. You may have to demonstrate that the boiler is adequate. It's only when there is work on or the replacement of a gas fitting that a Gas Engineer must be used.

Thanks for that! Boiler is up to it as when I had it installed I told the engineer then that I would be doing the Attic and he said it would be more than up to the job. I am a bit ignorant of building regs. I know they are a good thing in some circumstances but it is frustrating not being able to do things that I know I can! Also don't want to pay them an 'improvement tax'.

Building Insp. will only be interested in meeting the regs with respect to temperature and heating/boiler controls and insulation on pipework I suspect particulalry as you're not altering the oil boiler.

As has been said only gas work needs registered techy to do, oil has no such requirement in law as far as I'm aware.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back