extending heating system up into loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of carrying out a loft conversion. I wanted to extend the heating up into the loft and do the work myself. However, the architect drawings have stated that this needs to be done by a competent engineer and inspected. I have extended the heating system down stairs and I am very capable of doing it in the attic. I know that the boiler can handle the extra. Is this a hard and fast rule or is it just over zealousness of the architect?

Sponsored Links
If you consider yourself competent then go ahead. There's nothing particulalry clever about wet heating systems. But don't touch the gas side!

What you will need to do depends upon the type of existing system you have. If it isn't already a sealed system then you will probably need to make it one.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The system is a sealed system (combi - oil fired). I will not be touching the fuel side of things only extending the pipework up with 22mm pipe and off to the rads with 10mm micro bore. Cannot see why I need an engineering inspection, can you?

Your question doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual plumbing aspect of the job. Only the decision taken by your architect.

Perhaps you should ask in the building regs / planning permission' section. They may even more information to offer you there :)

What did your architect say when you raised your concerns with him?
He stated a competent engineer, so he is expecting a heating engineer to carry out the work I presume.

Also, if he has stated that it needs inspecting, did he specify who will be doing the inspecting?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back