Building regs first fix electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Thanks for your time.

Im currently at first fix stage of our extension which up till now has been passed off by Building Control. Next stage of inspection is pre plasterboard I presume to see electrics, plumbing etc.

As far as Im aware the normal process is a part P installer will install the electrics and provide you with a certificate to show the building inspector.

However, my father in law is a retired electrician, hes no longer registered etc but still knows the job inside out. Im thinking of getting him to fire fix the extension and paying building control to
come out and inspect his work. Is this all sounding normal?

Having a look at the Staffs Moorlands planning site the fees are as follows,

Stand Alone Electrical
Work Competent
Installer – Single Circuit

Stand Alone Electrical
Work Competent
Installer – Full Dwelling

There is going to be more than one circuit so the fee will be £118.00 but whats this competent installer mean? Hes competent as hes done it for years so will that suffice?

Its going to work out much cheaper, say £150 materials and £118 fee to first fix that pay and electrician to come and do it, seems a shame to not use his talents.

Any input please folks anyone done something similar?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
The term competent is no longer used as per 17th edition 2008 amd 3(2015). It is now ‘instructed person (electrically)’ and ‘skilled person (electrically).
But I assume this is what BCs are wanting. So the person undertaking the work would require to be up to date with current regulations within BS7671:2008 Amd 3.
Building controls like to take as very little responsibility to electrical installations as possible, so they would expect an electrical installation cert with schedules of inspection and test. Some BCOs are different, so I would advise asking them what they require to sign the work off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back