Building Regs for Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you need to have the decking at least 15cm below the damp proofing of the external wall you are plating up to.

I also know that you have to have at least 1cm gap between the wall and any external wood.

These are the only regs I am aware of (are there any more) ?.

I want to put decking outside the rear extension but need it to come above the damp proof layer of the wall.

Can I get round this by fitting a drain system along the edge of the outside wall then butt the decking up to that ?.

Sponsored Links
That is all. A 1:60 slope would also be preferable though.

There are no regs for decking in this country as such, the 150mm below DPC is only a guide, you can actually place a wall plate on or above the DPC provided that you leave a 10 - 12mm gap between plate and wall.

The only time you need to comply with certain regulations is when you are adding a deck to a listed building or in a conservation area, or if the deck will be on a 1st floor and overlooking neighbors!

but for ground level and raised decks there are no regulations like the Americans and Canadians have, they have to apply for planning permission and provide plans to their local planning office for any deck that is going to be constructed or changed!

Maybe we should adopt the same system as I have seen a number of decks in the past that are totally dangerous!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back