Decking up to my Property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some existing decking on the left hand side of my garden. I have recently had some French doors fitted and would like to deck from my French doors to the existing decking.

My question in relation to this is, is there a simple way I can do this without affecting the damp course. I have read that I can distance the start of the decking 10cm away from property this would be sufficient to prevent any damp issues.

Please can you advise if this is ok, or should I consider butting up to house and using a damp proof membrane?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the level where it meets the property, need to be below the dpc.

I have offered it up and it looks as though the decking will be level with the DPC or maybe a millimetre or so higher.

As a result would the easiest option be to space the decking away from the property as opposed to butting it up to the wall?

If so how much space / gap should I leave?

A space will be needed, the wider the better depends if it would interfere with using the decking , you don't want a trip hazard.

Sponsored Links
I think as the door opening of French Doors has a step with an overhang on it a gap of 10cm - 18cm should not cause too much of a problem.

Would this be a suitable space range?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back