Is there a tool that will allow me to...

Its all about just getting a cheap panel saw and getting the fook on with it!

Sponsored Links
...now that's just asking for trouble.
Safe as houses!
weather1_2350956c.jpg

Daniel

ninebob a member on here had a fatal accident with a wood blade in an angle grinder about 4 years ago :oops: :oops:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/627085-man-killed-by-improvised-power-tool[/QUOTE]

Hum while I don't condone the use of a wood blade in an angle grinder the article said the angle grinder was only for use in grinding and not cutting. Why then have every angle grinder I have purchased come with at least one cutting disc for either metal or stone and sometimes both?

Sponsored Links
quite different animals
stone and metal are removed and dont close in where as wood will expand and grip causing the blade to be propelled away if not held very firmly

in general i a tool is designed for a use it will work

a wood blade rotates far slower than a angle grinder so not a great choice in the wrong tool :eek:

ninebob a member on here had a fatal accident with a wood blade in an angle grinder about 4 years ago :oops: :oops:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/627085-man-killed-by-improvised-power-tool[/QUOTE]

Hum while I don't condone the use of a wood blade in an angle grinder the article said the angle grinder was only for use in grinding and not cutting. Why then have every angle grinder I have purchased come with at least one cutting disc for either metal or stone and sometimes both?

Definition of grind
verb (past and past participle ground /graʊnd/)

1 [with object] reduce (something) to small particles or powder by crushing it: grind some black pepper over the salad she ground up the rice prior to boiling
sharpen, smooth, or produce (something) by crushing or by friction: power from a waterwheel was used to grind cutlery
operate (a mill or machine) by turning the handle: she was grinding a coffee mill
[no object] (of a mill or machine) work with a crushing action: the old mill was grinding again

2rub or cause to rub together gratingly: [no object]: tectonic plates that inexorably grind against each other [with object]: he keeps me awake at night, grinding his teeth
[with object] press or rub (something) into a surface: she ground a half-smoked cigarette into the ashtray
[no object, with adverbial] move noisily and laboriously: the truck was grinding slowly up the hill

You do not cut with friction. You grind. That's why it's called a grinder, not a saw.

Notb665. a member on here had a fatal accident with a wood blade in an angle grinder about 2 years ago :oops: :oops:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/627085-man-killed-by-improvised-power-tool

name corrected :oops:
Thanks for pointing that one out, used an angle grinder to finish off a few cuts into flooring that the Circular Saw couldn't quite get to not long ago (a "general purpose" blade designed for the grinder), it did feel slightly dangerous at the time (no cutoff trigger, no guard, high speed etc) not to mention the large amount of smoke generated and probably fire risk! Doubt I'll use that again, especially after seeing your post.

OP, how is the decking mounted to the ground? Just wondering if it's possible to drag it away from the wall rather than cut it. that way you wouldn't have to replace the joist that the ends will be resting on.

You do not cut with friction. You grind. That's why it's called a grinder, not a saw.

That is simple rubbish and bares no relationship with the definition of cut. For example scissors cut using a shear force and not friction, are you going to claim that is not cutting?. Anything that separates an object into two cuts, it is the very definition of the word, specifically from the OED

[code:1] separate (something) into two; sever[/code:1]

Which is why there are separate cutting and grinding discs for angle grinders.

That is simple rubbish and bares no relationship with the definition of cut. For example scissors cut using a shear force and not friction, are you going to claim that is not cutting?. Anything that separates an object into two cuts, it is the very definition of the word, specifically from the OED

[code:1] separate (something) into two; sever[/code:1]

Scissors cut with a sharp edge, yes, not friction. A 'cutting' disc on a grinder removes material via abrasion.

The definition you have just quoted does not appear in the current OED.

Scissors cut with a sharp edge, yes, not friction. A 'cutting' disc on a grinder removes material via abrasion.

I agree. Grinder cutting discs DON'T cut, at least not in the scissor sense. In fact they abrade (grind) the material you are working. They are deliberately strengthened to be used on edge and produce a thin kerf and because of this this they are too brittle and contain insufficient abrasive materials for surface grinding

Grinding discs are considerably thicker. They extra volume of abrasive material and extra fabric bonding makes them more suitable for abrading surfaces wher downwards pressure on the side of the disc is normal

To anyone who uses grinders for any length of time this is fairly obvious

This is a 9" angle grinder wood saw blade.
grinderwoodcutting.jpg

Used one a while back. Forget the maker. Local hardware stockist supplies them. Handy for demolition work.
Not something you would use to cut dovetails. :mrgreen:
Might cut the bottom off a door though. :LOL:

Carbide teeth silver soldered in would be a nice addition.
Don't see it being a lot less dangerous than a bona fide wood saw blade tbh.

it has to be far more dangerous and suspect against health and safety as you dont have full blade coverage with a guard like any saw blade

6mm is the maximum gap allowed on a saw
drop a circular saw the guard closes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back