Cutting installed wooden floor for expansion gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having abit of a disaster with the wooden floor in the house I bought. The previouse owner put a wooden floor down in two rooms downstairs, however these have expanded alot (there seems to be abit of a random damp problem in one of the rooms) and in one room it popped up about 3-4 inches, taking off the skirting board.

I've pulled up the skirting boards and by pulling up the flooring boards by the wall the bump has moved along so now its now just a number of boards being pushed up the wall.

Anyway, the boards are glued together so I am unable to simply pull out the last boards to cut them down. Also, as its right up against the wall I would be cutting off too much if I use my jigsaw due to the position of the blade, and this would similar with my circular saw. I have considered just using my angle grinder to give a close cut, but am abit worried about the heat causing a fire/ smaldering under the raised floor. I've tried cutting with a saw but the floor isnt high enough to move it more than about 2inches (i've tried wedging the floor higher but with no luck) and because I cant put weight on the last 5 or so boards as they are raised up, its really awkward.

So anyway, does anyone have any ideas how I can do this as its really causing issues!!! I might just give up, cut off two much then fill the gap with something!

Cheers for help.

Sponsored Links
aim to cut off 15-20mm you need wedges in front and behind to maintain the hump to stop binding on the blade and taking 5 times longer
little or no bump 12mm up to 20mm where the bump is worst
you may need to remove a further slither but would avoid this till the damp is sorted incase it settles and shrinks

i have the dewalt plunge saw its brilliant for this job as it cuts to within 11 mm off the wall and takes a few mins to do several feet

Ok, so basicly try and wedge it infront/ behind to take the pressure off?

No idea what is causing the damp, but thats a problem to sort another day.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
yes you need to stop the floor closing up on the blade as you cut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back