Create expansion gap after floor has been laid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've had a hardwood wooden floor installed but no expansion gap has been left around the edges of the floor. The installer is adamant that as he has nailed and glued the floor no expansion gap is necessary. After reading the posts on this site I think that an expansion gap is indeed necessary. The boards are 18mm thick and 120mm wide (approx)

Since the only way i'll get an expansion gap if if I do it myself, is there a powertool that can butt up against a wall and cut to the required depth? The skirting is not on yet and i'm hoping there is a tool out there that will let me create this.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dewalt plunge saw will go within 12mm off the wall

its the installers problem have you paid him in full
what do the instructions on the packaging say

i personally wouldn't touch the floor as any problems from then on are your responcibility no matter what the cause is as in
it was ok before you cut the edges

I've read the instructions that came with the floor and they recommend a 15mm gap all around the perimeter.

Installer claims floor has been installed correctly - no luck there unfortunately.

What would you guys do in this situation? I can get the skirting put on as is, or create the expansion gap off my own back.

Can I hire a plunge saw for this? how hard are they to use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it and call him back if you get a problem.

i would personally leave it until a problem arises iff you cant live with the skirting off cut to fit and lightly fix then after 2 years off no probs fix the skirting properly as it needs it

i would personally leave it until a problem arises iff you cant live with the skirting off cut to fit and lightly fix then after 2 years off no probs fix the skirting properly as it needs it

So if a problem arises over time, creating the expansion gap would fix it? I don't mind doing that as it makes my life a bit easier now, but if i'm very likely to get into problems later then i'd rather sort it out now.

The subbase is plywood and the flooring was installed when it was generally warm so I guess it might contract more than it'll expand.

yes you can introduce expansion gaps later

the normal is people want long runs with no expansion joins in doorways
so you warn them that you will lay without the joins but every gap that has to be cut will be £40 this covers the time wasted for a visit including the 20mins doing the cut

There should be an expansion gap perticularly on the sides across the grain.
You could cut an expansion gap later , but by the time you realsie you need one the floor will already have buckled and will probably need relaying.
You could hire a plunge saw or at a push a door trimmer, both are pretty easy to use.
How tight is the floor to the walls and what are the dimensions of the room.
Personally I would get it fixed now, if he won't come back there is always trading standards.

If the walls are soft you might be able to use a sharp scutching chisel to take the wall back a bit.

If the walls are soft you might be able to use a sharp scutching chisel to take the wall back a bit.

Yes as you say Jo, it might sound a bit of a bodge , but it might be the easy way out, otherwise it is going to be a long drawn out argument between the floor layer/ trading standards etc, i would not cut boards, you might slip with the saw, scratch the floor etc etc ,plus if anything else goes wrong, the floor layer will say it is your fault,Just carefully cut plaster of wall around room behind the edges of boards. any expansion gap will be better than none, have someone hovering dust at same time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back