Fix gaps in newly laid wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I laid a bamboo wood floor in the bathroom about 6 months ago, it is a glued tongue and groove floating floor. In the last month or so it has started to work apart in two rows over the length of the floor, the gap varies from about 1-3mm, I tried to pull it back together as I have yet to fix the skirting on one side but no luck, any ideas if I can close the gap and if so how can I stop it happening again.

Also where the floor meets the curved shower tray what would be best to fill the slight gap, I was going to use silicone sealant to create a seal but wondered if the gap would need filling first?
Pics below, the gap shows better in the 2nd photo.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How much of a gap have you got at the skirting edge? If you can get something between to use as a lever, then drop a block behind.. you'd be able to apply quite a bit of pressure/squeeze.

the trouble you have is you have a floating floor
the glue bond has broken down so imposible to re-glue easily or as strong

you should be keeping the floor completley dry with all moisture removed within seconds

if the shower tray is fitted on the floor then it will impede expansion if not
you also need an expansion gap off 12mm around all edges including the shower tray

The gap between the floor and wall is about 10mm, I had put in cork expansion strips in the gap. Is there a specific tool that would be best to use as a lever?

Also in future is a floating floor not a very good idea, when I decided on it the other other options were glue down, couldn't do as I used an underlay, or blind nail.

Sponsored Links
Is there a gap between the floor and the shower tray or is the shower tray installed ontop of the floor??
You should not fill your expansion gap with anything - it's not called an expansion gaps for nothing! Filling it will have the same effect as not having a gap at all!
Gaps! They are there for a very good reason!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back