Building regs for garage work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've got detached garage, single skin with pitched roof. Last year I put a partition halfway down with a door to create a room for fixing guitars and storing stuff.

I now want to insulate the remaining half and put a stud wall up to cover the up-and-over door. I'm going to turn it into a "washroom"...basically to put the washing machine out there and make it less cold and dark.

Do I need planning permission for this? what is the definition of habitable room?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The definition of "habitable" in the Regs is poor and plain bad english. But what you're suggesting wouldn't constitute habitable.

To some extent, habitable is to do with 'intent'. You can sleep in and occupy a room without a ring main or heating, but you are intending to habitat it. Using as cellar, utility, storeroom means means you do not intend to habitate and do not require special checks. Your plan would come under "utility" use, imho.

Internal alterations like this wouldn't require planning perm. You are only,basically, doing some "change of use". But these days, it's impossible to know where Building Regs apply and when you can happilly do minor internal work without informing them.

The only thing BRegs could really moan about is stuff related to Fire Regs, imho --- and that would be very fussy, if we're talking just a WMachine running. Phone them up and sound them out... there'll be no obligation. If your alterations are as minimal as you say, then BRegs wouldn't be interested.

Of course, if you're making a nice job of the insulation, etc... and think that it will be fine, if and when you fancy making it a proper "habitable" space ( Studio etc) then think again. Especially in July 2008 , the Insulation + Fire + Everything else will be even more prohibitive than this year. Your work will not count toward a real conversion ( which will involve Leccy certs, floor, insulation, access etc etc etc

Nonetheless .... you probably already have the ceiling of the garage fire-lined? And you're not breaching that? It would also be good if the power to the garage was done properly and has the right Leccy/Regs certificate for the period constructed.
All this is a bit of a fuss -- but your proximity to neighhbours and the tendency for house insurers to wriggle out of any claim, means you have to consider a few issues.

Thanks for that info (any additional appreciated) ..my own "workshop" as stated on our plans has single brick walls & insulated flat roof & current reg electrics, when I asked my own local authority as to knocking a door through to provide better access (rather than going outside all the time) they mentioned that it sounded like I wanted to make it habitable, ..actually I still want to do odd jobs in there storage chop kindling & keep our 3 dogs in there at night.
Warmth therefore comes into it, why on earth would I (as a greeny) wish to let warm air out when I could insulate it & line it out properly? ..why is that making it habitable????
surely thats making it up to scratch, sealing leaks of heat, water ingression, & reducing existing heat / cooling consumption et al.
technically thats not change of use surely?
please advise! ..as the council want to charge me a barrow load of cash!
(nb new doorway would be the second access & would need a decent lintel)

Sponsored Links
There is no 'change of use' in a planning context for domestic properties - its all the same use, and converting a garage does not require planning permission, nor does blocking up the door. The term habitable room does not apply in a planning context either

But planning permission may be required solely for the fact that you will be losing the garage, and other means to park the car off-road may be required. Check with you planning dept - not so likley for older properties, but possible for newer ones

For building regs, its irrelevant if the room is being made habitable or not, but rather if the 'space' is being changed to a 'room' for purposes other than originally intended or designed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back