Building work involved in a garage conversion?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of converting our external/detached garage into an office/playroom, i have spoken to the local council and no planning permissions will be required, just building regs.

There is about 13m2 in the garage which i think is quite a nice amount of space for an extra room, if it was anything less than about 8m2 then i probably wouldn't be bothering. Bearing in mind that this is to convert the entire usable space, i think some people have done conversions where they did half of the space and so still left with enough room to open the garage up and use it as storage, but that wouldn't really apply in my case.

The only things i can think of for the conversion would be:

• Raising the floor height to allow for insulation over the concrete slab
  • Fully insulating walls and ceiling
  • Providing heating and cooling for the space, either by tying into the house’s main system or adding an independent one.
  • An electrical service upgrade to accommodate the larger load
  • Replacing garage doors with fully insulated stud walls
  • Adding windows and doors
bearing in mind that i would prefer to keep the garage door as it is and not brick it up, most likely just put up a stud wall right behind the door.

Is there anything else that might be involved in this kind of job? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly mechanical extraction depending upon use.
Provide venting for the loft space.
Smoke detection maybe an issue but unlikely.
Foundations will need to be inspected should you decide to brick up the garage doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back