1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Regs in 2005 question.

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Brian Lacey, 12 Feb 2020.

1. Brian Lacey

Brian Lacey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A bedroom extension on our bungalow was given planning permission in late 2004 and so I assume built during 2005. Outer skin is brick and the inner wall is some type of block construction.
    Would the planning/building regulations of 2005 required an insulation layer between the brick and block skins during construction ?
    Thanks.
    Brian.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2020
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I recall specifying 50mm quilt in a 50mm cavity back in the early 2000's. But it was possible to have a clear cavity and use high-performanace blocks instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Lacey

Brian Lacey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks.
    If there was an 'option' then I think I'll pop into the planning office next time I'm out that way and see if their records are specific in detail.
    Other wise I suppose the only alternative is to drill a hole in the skin and see what comes out !
    Cheers
    Brian.

5. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A few years ago when CWI was "free", a team came down my street - salesman at the front. If you expressed an interest the guy behind had a drill and a boroscope and he would check what was in your wall before they signed you up.

6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Like most the regualtions, a performance is specified (ie u-value in this case), but how that is acheived is down to the applicant. So internal, external or cavity insulation, specific blocks, or a wider cavity are options to meet the performace requirement.

7. Brian Lacey

Brian Lacey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah, thanks, so specification can be achieved in different ways, didn't know that.
    I'll give the planning office a try and see if they have any records that might help, otherwise it will be a "hole in the wall' jobbie. !!
    Cheers
    Brian.

8. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Construction for all parts of a building can be specified in all sorts of different ways :!: U values for external walls changed over the years but ,as others have said , higher performance blocks could be used for the internal leaf with a clear cavity . The thickness of the block would improve the thermal insulation rather than a wider clear cavity. I can't remember without checking but I think a house built in 2005 would usually have some form of cavity insulation whether full or partial fill to meet Part L of the bldg. regs.

9. Sponsored Links