1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Regs in 1980 question.

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Brian Lacey, 28 Feb 2018.

1. Brian Lacey

Brian Lacey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A bedroom extension was built onto our bungalow in 1980 (well before our purchase). It is not the warmest room by any means (sorting the loft is next summer's job !) but I was wondering if Building Regs around 1980 would have insisted on cavity wall insulation ? Outer skin is brick with a concrete/thermal block inner skin.
    I expect I may have to pay for a proper cavity survey to be absolutely sure but thought it worth the ask on here first.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Brian.

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No insulation was required then - but it had to be no worse than the existing building IIRC.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. wessex101

wessex101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I started out we were using the 1976 Regs and walls had to meet U values, I can't remember the figure but I seem to remember insulation in the cavities. You only needed about 50mm of loft insulation though.

It was a very very long time ago though so the dementia could be taking it's toll.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I started out we were still using wattle and daub.

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That would be about 1992 in Manchester then, just before Jewsons opened a northern branch. :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There were u values but they could be met with thermalite blocks and no insulation. Under a certain size only needed to be as good as the existing building.

7. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually Wes., I'm not sure insulation was required in the cavity in the mid '70s. I recall doing brick/2"cavity/brick walls for domestic extensions with nothing in the cavity.
    Yes, just a token layer of glass wool between the ceiling joists (no concerns then about ventilation etc); no limit on glass area - single-glazed as well.
    As they say - the past is a different country.

8. Brian Lacey

Brian Lacey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all for the information. Looks like more detailed investigation is called for to see what is or is not there !
    Cheers
    Brian.

9. Paintguy

Paintguy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Posting to keep an eye on future replies as this is of interest to me too.

We're currently having our 1980 kitchen extension further extended. Since it's the coldest part of the house by far I'm convinced there is no cavity insulation, and I know there is virtually nothing in the flat roof, just the token gesture layer of wool mentioned by tony1851.

Since one wall is coming down I'll be able to see for sure. I've also decided to pull the ceiling and have it insulated as close to current regs as possible. Seems daft to leave the old half badly insulated compared to the new half!

10. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, for anything that is sticking out of the main house you would really want it to be insulated to one standard, and not two different standards for the new and older bits. But if its a case of just opening up a room and adding an extension, then the part of the room that is still within the envelope of the house, does not need upgrading as it will tend to get adventitious heating and shelter form the main house