Building regs, planning etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get approval of structural work, after the event?

Four years ago, we had the rear of our house under pinned. This was carried out by the insurance company's nominated underpinner and builder. The rear back addition of this Victorian house was the rebuilt in parts and redecorated. During this time the builder to whom this work was sub contracted, opened up a load bearing wall in a private deal, and replaced with piers and an RSJ.

Although the under pinning work was overseen by the local authority, it appears that the replacement of the load bearing wall was not. I have no reason to believe that the builder didn't carry out the worker correctly and we have had no problems. We intend to sell the house in the near future.

Is it possible or advisable to get the local authority in to examine the RSJ work and get approval retrospectively. The actual builder concerned has since closed his business and moved to New Zealand and I can't locate him.

Sponsored Links
Hi headliner,

I have come across this situation a couple of times - where work has been carried out without Building Control notification / approval and then a problem arises as a result of a survey / house sale. It is possible to gain Building Control approval retrospectively but you will have to get them to inspect the work.

From the sounds of it this will involve 'opening up' the RSJ (assuming it's been firelined) and possibly exposing the RSJ seating. Obviously, this is going to leave some 'making good' post inspection.

Additionally, it's highly likely that the BCO will want you to provide structural loading calculations to prove that the RSJ is suitable so if you can't do this you'll have to engage a structural engineer. In the scenarios I've come across this is what the householder had to do to gain retrospective approval.

Your first plan of action should be a call to your local authority building control department. Explain the situation to them and see what they say.

Good luck

It's possible to apply for "Regularisation" of the work, which will involve a certain amount of opening up and if necessary calculations - all to the building control officers discretion.

If there are no problems with the work now, then there are unlikely to be in the future (unless other factors change).

Don't bother with the council. When you put the house on the market, if it gets picked up, then just pay the £50 or so for the extra indemnity insurance - which is pretty worthless to the buyer, but keeps the Solicitors happy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back