Building regs - Plastic F&E tanks - Wood stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trawled the 'tinternet for the reference in the Building regs relating to Feed and Expansion tanks used in conjunction with an "uncontrolled" heat sources such as a wood stoves.

Can anybody shed any light on this please?

I have a Titan PC25R 25gallons F&E tank on the wood stove. Again I cannot find any reference on the web to this tank being "thermally rated" for use with stoves, if indeed it is a requirement of the building regs.

I believed the regs changed after a plastic tank collapsed and a kiddy was scalded to death in the bedroom below.

Sponsored Links
no change in the regs. That tank was not properly installed.

I believe it was not correctly supported amongst other errors

So my plastic Titan PC25R is ok as an f&e tank for a wood stove?

It's just that I'm suffering pumpover and when I checked the tank it was full of hot water and very floppy!

A tad worrying as you can imagine.

Thanks anyway.

So my plastic Titan PC25R is ok as an f&e tank for a wood stove?

It's just that I'm suffering pumpover and when I checked the tank it was full of hot water and very floppy!

A tad worrying as you can imagine.

Thanks anyway.

You shouldn't be using the bloody thing :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

Mmmm.. if I shouldn't I need backup of the regs. to give to the "plumber"

I have asked my existing "plumber" to give me the manufacturers assurances, in writing, that the plastic Titan PC25R is suitable for the job.

Am I being unreasonable?

Mmmm.. if I shouldn't I need backup of the regs. to give to the "plumber"

I have asked my existing "plumber" to give me the manufacturers assurances, in writing, that the plastic Titan PC25R is suitable for the job.

Am I being unreasonable?

Very un-reasonable.

The tank will withstand boiling water for 1 hour, ( I think that's the regs)

You have a system fault, and shouldn't be using it as it's dangerous, and yes, eventually the tank will collapse.

Ok, as I had concerns I switched off the oil boiler side of things to stop the pumpover, so no it is not being used now....

Thankfully the plumber is aware of the issue and he is booked to come back and sort it..... in a months time! but it's ok, I'm a patient chap...

Ok, as I had concerns I switched off the oil boiler side of things to stop the pumpover, so no it is not being used now....

Thankfully the plumber is aware of the issue and he is booked to come back and sort it..... in a months time! but it's ok, I'm a patient chap...

Assuming you still have my email, get the details in the post and I'll look at it.

Monday is snooker day, so any when after that.

And Wednesday evening I have a meeting.

The Titan PC25R 25 gallon cold water storage tank is manufactured to comply with BS4213:2004 which stipulates they have to be capable of withstanding boiling water for 500hours.

Sorted.

There is an interesting article at the link below headed:-

INFORMATION FOR WATER SUPPLIERS, PLUMBING INSTALLERS, LANDLORDS AND HOUSEHOLDERS

ELECTRIC IMMERSION WATER HEATERS AND PLASTIC WATER STORAGE CISTERNS

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Scalding information note Jan 08.pdf

Don't know about sorted, I sure as hell wouldn't want to sleep under the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back