Building regs

Sponsored Links
Hi. I have had a look in neighbours loft. They have a wooden beam going across?

Please have a look at photos attached.

Would prefer something like this as I find houses without stack odd looking :s

I'd assume gallows would be fine too?

IMG_20190701_141317.jpg
IMG_20190701_141312.jpg
IMG_20190701_141251.jpg

Whats that? A timber beam hung off purlins and holding the chimney up?

Good luck getting that past an inspector.

Whats that? A timber beam hung off purlins and holding the chimney up?

Good luck getting that past an inspector.

Ah I didn't realise it's going to purlins. It was done about 20 years ago.

Will gallow brackets on my side be ok?

Sponsored Links
Will gallow brackets on my side be ok?
It was mentioned earlier that you can't assume or rely on gallows being acceptable, there are several factors needing consideration, and some councils don't accept them anyway. You need expert opinion on site, not from this forum.

Update

Hi. I've hadh the chimney stack at top of roof removed completely (both mine and the neighbours side).

I have had my chimney removed in the loft area and will be completed tomorrow. The plan was to remove neighbours side too.

As my previous post the neighbours is supported by a timber beam which is on purlins.

The tradesman is saying that if neighbors remaining part in the loft is to be removed then the wall single skinned will have to be taken down.

Is this correct as I don't see why it should be taken down. The wall between mine and my neighbours chimneys in the loft is single skinned whereas the rest is double.

Please advise as we don't want the neighbors side to be left unsafe or cause any problems to and party wall.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_203825.jpg
    IMG_20190711_203825.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
if it's in poor condition then maybe so, often apparently the b rickwork isn't really tied in with anything. However something would have to go up in its place to separate the two houses, a plasterboard ceiling and an open loft isn't really enough nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back