Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently looking at the possibility of knocking down our conservatory and replacing with brick extension. Currently have a single storey extension that this will be joined into to make one space. We're in process of employing architects and structural engineer. We'll obviously need building regs too but would we need this for electrical work. There are sockets in conservatory and kitchen already that will be re used. May need to move slightly or add a couple. No new circuits or cu work required.
This is what regs page says..

What electrical work is notifiable?
From April 2013 electrical work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings, is notifiable to a local building control body where the work includes:

• the installation of a new circuit, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage); or
  • the replacement of a consumer unit (fusebox); or
  • any alteration or addition to an existing circuit in a special location*, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage
*A special location is a room containing a bath or shower, swimming pool or a sauna heater.

I read that as not being applicable to our situation, would I be correct in my assumption?

Sponsored Links
This is the actual law (not as someone thought fit to rewrite).
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

No mention of voltage (although probably not relevant).
Note the definition of special location - just within the zones. This is different than the Wiring Regulations definition.

So, from what you say - nothing notifiable.

Another poster recently said their Building Control were not interested in non-notifiable work, but they do vary so I would advise asking them. Too late afterwards.
If they do want anything, I would think it can be included in the building works.

New sockets and some concealed cabling must have an RCD on the circuit.

Do you have RCDs in the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Individually those electrical things are not notifiable.

However the extension is notifiable - so whether small parts of it are or are not doesn't change anything.
You make one application and pay one fee based on the work as a whole, regardless of how many items are included in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back