Building regulations for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I am planning to replace my two outbuilds / sheds with one big one, to gain a few square meters of space lost in between them. One is a brick shed, places on the boundary and the other is a wood shed, around 1m from the boundary.

I want to replace it with a brick shed that is 8.5m x 3.6m (30.6sqm).

Image for reference:

Now according to regulations for: Class 6 (Small detached buildings)

1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

The first part is fine since it is around 30sqm.. The second part, if its brick does that mean it fits and I can have it close to the boundary?

Also, https://www.planningportal.gov.uk/p...buildingregulations/approvalneeded/exemptions

Here it says it is not exempt from Part P, is that electrical safety? What does that mean, that I need a qualified engineer to make the end connection? Do I need to apply for something? (I am an electrical engineer myself, but I don't have an electricians certificate)

Sponsored Links
If you're over 30sq.m, you need to submit a Building Regulation application.

You do not need to submit a BR application if it's built more than 1m from the boundary or is built from non-combustible material, which includes the wall and roof. Brick is fine... were you going with a flat or pitched roof? The latter with slates/tiles will provide more fire resistance than a flat roof.

Also check to see if you require Planning permission...

https://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

That is assuming your property has its Permitted Development rights intact. Your Council may be able to confirm this without having to go down the formal route of submitting a Lawful Development Certificate.

I checked that

1) It is not in any special area
2) Less than half of the area around the original house will be covered by extensions of some sort
3) Its not on the front
4) I am open to suggestions with the roof, if you think I need to use slates or tiles, thats fine. I was hoping I could make a roof that I could put solar panels on or something, and I dont like felt at all due to how easy it rips with trees.

Which should mean its within permitted planning.

Does the dimensions cover the inside or outside? From the outside (including walls) it would be 30.6, but it would less than 30 if its the internal space. Otherwise I could make it slightly smaller so it's 29.9 sqm. Are building regulations a hassle, if I decide to make it for example, 35sqm or 40sqm?

You missed the part which relates to the height of the building. Are you within those limits too?

Planning is external footprint. Building Regulations is internal footprint.

Sponsored Links
The height should be 2.5m for within 1m of the fence, I am ok with that.

It can be what you like, but the highest point must be no more than 2.5m no matter where that highest point is in relation to the boundary.

note that if the land slopes, it's 2.5m from the highest natural ground level. functor, when you said earlier that you checked... make sure the planning permission that granted your house, or any alterations since, haven't had a condition that prohibits you from exercising your permitted development rights. Such a condition will be worded "notwithstanding the provisions of the general permitted development order...no development shall be carried out under sections X, Y Z ..."

councils can selectively remove PD rights as part of planning conditions.. you don't have to be in a "special area"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back