Building warrant for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2.2m x 4m shed.
I've built a timber shed in my garden that's within a metre of the house and boundary, I've been informed by the council that I'll need a building warrant.

They've stated that unless it's a metre away from the house and the boundary then I need a warrant. Surely this means that 90% of sheds in the land will require a warrant, as typically they're put on the boundary.

It's so hard to find the relevant info.
Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
It's so hard to find the relevant info.

Google "works not requiring a building warrant".
E.g. http://doineedpermission.co.uk/no-warrant/

I think maybe you'd be OK if it were more than 1m from the house. I think that the rationale is that being within 1m of the house AND within 1m of the boundary has implications for spread of fire.
Also being (slightly) larger than 8 m^2 makes it more difficult. Even if it were more than 1m from the house or boundary, you'd still have to comply with regs (but not need to apply for a warrant).
Have you built it with building regs compliance in mind?

Sponsored Links
After exhaustive research due to completely misleading information told to me by the building control department. I now know what I need to do.
The internal area is bang on 8sqm, so I'm ok on that end. It's the vacinity to the property that I fall foul on. To get by building control I just need to shift it 900mm, this giving me a metre away from my property.
For anyone that's considering building a shed close to their property, be warned - it's a mine field. I've got a mate who's head of development for a local authority and even he couldn't give me all the info that I needed. Typical beurocracy!!!

For anyone that's considering building a shed close to their property, be warned - it's a mine field. I've got a mate who's head of development for a local authority and even he couldn't give me all the info that I needed. Typical beurocracy!!!
No it isn't and he didn't know because he didn't know. And it has nothing to do with bureaucracy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back