Building Regulations wording

DCLG's position appears to rely on a bit of fallacious logic.

12(6A) makes some work for which Part P imposes a requirement notifiable.

9(3) excludes Part P from the general exemption.

Therefore 9(3) also excludes 12(6A) from the general exemption.

I believe you said you have lawyers in your family? Be interested to see what they make of the DCLG's claim. (Don't worry - I won't be going back to argue the toss with the DCLG any more).

Sponsored Links
DCLG's position appears to rely on a bit of fallacious logic.
12(6A) makes some work for which Part P imposes a requirement notifiable.
9(3) excludes Part P from the general exemption.
Therefore 9(3) also excludes 12(6A) from the general exemption.
As you say, that appears to be fallacious logic - and it only takes a bit of intelligence, not any legal knowledge, to determine that. As I said, to my mind it is so simple - 9(1) say that Schedule 2 buildings are exempt from most of the Regs, which includes 12(6). Nothing else in 9, or anywhere else in the regs, says that 12(6) is ever 'immune from' the general exemption of 9(1). We know what they (almost certainly) thought they were achieving but, to my mind, the words they used simply didn't achieve it!
I believe you said you have lawyers in your family? Be interested to see what they make of the DCLG's claim.
I do - a couple of high-flying commercial solicitors and a barrister. I'll ask when I get an opportunity.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back