Building sand or Sharp sand for Rsj packing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Skimmers.

What about mortar please. Sharp sand or building sand. Which gives a stronger mix.

Larger aggregate gives a higher compressive strength but at the expense of a thicker minimum thickness.

Sponsored Links
Larger aggregate gives a higher compressive strength but at the expense of a thicker minimum thickness.

WTF?

Op, either sand will be just as strong at the same mix ratio. However, building sand is more workable, easier to use, won't slump, and so is the one to use.

3:1 and no plasticiser

WTF?

Op, either sand will be just as strong at the same mix ratio. However, building sand is more workable, easier to use, won't slump, and so is the one to use.
No it won't. A larger aggregate requires less cement to get the same compressive strength, as there is less surface area to the same volume of material.
So for the same mix, sharp sand will give a higher compressive strength.

Neither should slump as they should be mixed semi dry so that it is less likely to contract and crack.

Anyway, doesn't really matter as either will be fine at 3:1.

No it won't. A larger aggregate requires less cement to get the same compressive strength, as there is less surface area to the same volume of material.
So for the same mix, sharp sand will give a higher compressive strength.

Neither should slump as they should be mixed semi dry so that it is less likely to contract and crack.

Anyway, doesn't really matter as either will be fine at 3:1.

Rubbish.
Larger grains of sand?

And this extra strength is measurable in a joint of 10mm?

Sharp sand will slump more as it is rammed in, and the water vibrated

Theory is great in textbooks from an office chair I am sure

Larger grains of sand?
Yes, as we both know, sharp sand has larger grains than building sand. Even the fact that the sand is sharper will make for a stronger mix than rounder grains, all else being equal.

And this extra strength is measurable in a joint of 10mm?
It would be measured using a standard test, so the thickness of the joint is immaterial.

Sharp sand will slump more as it is rammed in, and the water vibrated
In a semi-dry mix?

Theory is great in textbooks from an office chair I am sure
I've done my fair share of building work in my life, DIY and on site. I've installed more than a few beams into walls too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back