Building Survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Noob here.

CRIKEY ! just had my buildings survey back on the first house I am hoping to buy.

There is a list of remedial works recommended around 20 odd of them but it's all swahili to me.

Can anyone help me as too how serious some of this stuff is or how expensive ? I have no idea at all when it comes to what chimney re-pointing means or timber treatments recommended.

Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
It may help if you post the points!

The survey should mention the seriousness of the defects and how soon they should be rectified.

Most items described as 'recommended' are not essential and can go to the bottom of the list. Other things may need doing but are not a priority. Any really urgent items, or ones which will affect you going ahead with the sale (or negotiating a price reduction) should be highlighted

But, most importantly, the survey should be easy to understand. You have commissioned it and therefore you want to be told what is wrong in clear terms. It should not be filled with jargon or technical terms. If it really is hard to understand, then get back to the person who did it and ask for an explanation.

thanks woody

ok here are a few bits I am concerned about

When viewed from ground level, evidence of broken, damaged and slipped tiles are apparent. Remedial works will be required. The underside of the slates visible within the roof void show some evidence of delamination and corrosion to the fixings, which may indicate nail sickness is beginning to show. The original ridge and hip sections show evidence of disrepair to the mortar beds and will require remedial works. Slight slope deflection is apparent, which is thought fairly typical of this form of construction and age of property. Evidence of water penetration and staining is noted due to the lack of sarking felt and some damage to the slate covering

There is an overall deflection to the floors, falling down from the front left hand side of the property to the rear right hand side. This is thought due to general movement of the property in this direction, albeit the recently re-rendered external surfaces mask any historic defects to the external walls. The deflection of the floors and the out of square to the door openings would indicate that movement has occurred. It may be prudent to consider a structural engineer’s analysis of the movement.

The falling of the ground floor towards the rear right hand corner is thought to be general movement of the property. However, it may have been exacerbated by deterioration of the timber joists supporting the floor. However, only opening up works would confirm this. Where timber is in contact with any damp masonry, these would be vulnerable to decay and appropriate remedial works will be required. Where the roof timbers have suffered saturation due to the lack of sarking felt and poor tile coverings, again, appropriate treatment works are thought prudent.

Is there a rough costing for this sort of thing and should I be duyly worried ?

Personally, unless you're getting an absolute bargain, I would walk away!

Your mortgage company may not lend on the property either if they feel it's in a very poor state.

If they are willing to lend on it there will probably be a certain amount of the mortgage that they will retain until remedial works are completed.

Sponsored Links
hmm its a 3 bedroomed semi with a 16x9 conservatory on the back..we are paying just under 140k

the subsidence is thought to be historic and is typical of properties in the south coast area built on clay and is not progressive and the mortgage company were more than happy to lend..

are you a builder dude ? or have you had major experience in this sort of thing ? sorry not doubting your opinion dude just wanted to clarify..

Not a builder no. I'm an underwriter and general insurance consultant.

If it's historic and there's no progressive movement then you should be fine. Ultimately, if the mortgage lender is prepared to lend following receipt of survey then it should be fine although that doesn't give an indication of the cost to fix - it just means there's no imminent danger of the property collapsing.

£140k sounds v.cheap for a three bed home darn sarf - I don't know though - I'm no valuer.

Before you commit to buy make sure you confirm you can get the property insured. If you stick the postcode on here (providing you're happy to do so given that it's a public forum) I'll check it out for you on my database of subsidence, flood & industrial risk.

Regards

Fred.

i would say you have upwards of £8000 of remedials just from the first couple of paragraphs!

Don't take a chance, employ a qualified surveyor and structural engineer to carry out surveys of the property and ask for fixed priced quotes of all the work that is necessary.
If need be you can then renegotiate the price of the property with the vendor .
If they will not move on the price or if it is not economically viable then walk away.

As someone who's recently bought their first house, I know how hard it can be to walk away from 'the one'. However, from the sound of it and from FredFlintsone's point that it's a bargain for the area: I would walk away. (not actually the question you asked, but thought i'd stick me oar in! ;) )

It could be a real bargain in that it just looks like it's about to fall down when in reality its as safe as .... well, houses! That or it's a total death trap cum money pit that will destroy your soul/life/sanity. :(

If in doubt, get a structural 'neer in to have a darned good look. Might be a tad pricey now, but will be a heck of a lot cheaper than a £140 pile of rubble in a few years!

Buildings move, and there is no problem with that. It is when they move excessive and continually that issues arise.

If the building is not in distress, then there is no need to not buy it.

Whether it is prudent to consult an engineer is for you to decide. IMO, the surveyor should have been qualified to give you an opinion on its current state, and not worm out of it and pass the decision to another person, for another fee.

I can't see any futher engineers report being able to tell you much. He may take some soil samples and check drains, but he is most likely to recommend longer term monitoring, and that is all that can be done really.

In any case, if the worst comes, you have insurance and this will cover repairs.

You are in a good position to get a discount off the price - both for the roof repairs (re-roof) and the "big risk I am taking in buying this as my surveyor says it is sinking" - as you will put it.

Your surveyor should have given you likely costs for the repairs

In any case, if the worst comes, you have insurance and this will cover repairs

Household insurance does not cover you for general repairs. You are only covered for fire ,flood or storm damage and in some cases subsidence.

Your surveyor should have given you likely costs for the repairs

RICS Surveyors will not give you a fixed priced quote for the repairs, they will just give you a ball park figure.
Any building can be repaired, its just a question of how much it will cost.
For this you will need an experienced builder or one of those companies that specialize in this type of work.
The advantage of using these is that if they are liable if they miss some defect and you buy the property on the strength of their report.

Most common policies will cover the homeowner for significant damage to property in context of the OP question - ie foundation movement and subsequent structural damage .

A survey report should include cost estimates based on market rates for the locality, and based on the surveyors experience and publised cost indices.

A statement such as "the roof needs repairing" is meaningless in a report without a cost figure.

Guys, it really depends on what type of survey he is talking about.. a valuation survey (i use the term very loosly) will not cover remediation costs unless asked, whereas a homebuyers depending on the surveyor may.

Most surveys are a load of rubbish. You employ the guy to find faults - so if he can't find real ones he'll fill it with bumf.

If everyone walked away from properties with a few dodgy slates we'd all be living in tents and the housing estates would be ghost towns.

^Woody^ said
Most common policies will cover the homeowner for significant damage to property in context of the OP question - ie foundation movement and subsequent structural damage

Not strictly true, depends on the area were the property is located, and even then most policies will include an excess of £1000.
PS , what does OP mean?

Static said
Guys, it really depends on what type of survey he is talking about.. a valuation survey (i use the term very loosly) will not cover remediation costs unless asked, whereas a homebuyers depending on the surveyor may.

Not true, a structural survey will point out defects and recommend that you contact a reputable builder, joiner plumber etc to give a quote .

joe 90 said
Most surveys are a load of rubbish. You employ the guy to find faults - so if he can't find real ones he'll fill it with bumf

How do you know. Its a bit like saying most plumbers ,electricians, brickies are rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back