Building trade material shortages?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s all this cobblers I keep hearing about material shortages in the building trade? I’ve just come back from B&Q in Romford and I couldn’t see any shortages. I’m sure I’ve heard people on here talking about the scarcity of plaster and cement. They had loads of it. What’s the problem?

A29760EF-1021-43DB-B995-DD593418CDEC.jpeg
07C10B06-675C-4722-8BDB-485955ABBA55.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Supply to larger sheds works a little differently than to other places.

Ultimately smaller tradespeople are going to get the short end of the stick as the value proposition for dealing with supply logistics is much less.

Many places are attempting to not reflect the wholesale costs of materials because they may have obtained stock at a much higher price, rather than averaging this out with newer stock.

It seems it is mainly timber items that are/were in short supply, and as a result prices have risen. I did ask if these price rises will subside when thing get back to some sort of normality. By the look of your pictures, cement and the like is near normal price, unless that picture is a few years old. Plywood sheets are £80 plus at the moment, used to be less than £30 a year or so ago.

By the look of your pictures, cement and the like is near normal price, unless that picture is a few years old.
I definite rook that photo today, I don’t know what the price of cement is though but that doesn’t seem too dear to me. My mate who is a builder was telling me that roofing battens that were £15 a bundle are now being priced at £55 a bundle but he argues with his supplier and gets them for around the £30 mark depending on who he talks to!

Sponsored Links
What’s all this cobblers I keep hearing about material shortages in the building trade
..says DIY mottie. Lol.

How did you get on the last time you built a roof? Which tiles did you use? How are palleted supplies of 3.5n and 7n blocks from B & Q these days? Which B & Q quarries that supply their building sand have ceased and how does that affect mortar colouring etc?

Clue : don't expect mottie or a B & Q worker to have the foggiest.

There are dozens of product you simply can't get at present and multiple materials that are either discontinued or 'postponed till further notice. It's a fekking nightmare trying to plan jobs - well, apart from re-laying that wobbly slab or jet-washing the front step.

Are you saying that I'm lying about bulk plaster shortages or bulk cement shortages?
Are you saying I faked that picture? Looks like plenty of bulk there.

6E9A6213-092A-47D8-ACC5-5CD0F1631B69.jpeg

All I did was comment on the fact that I see plenty of plaster and cement yet others say they can’t get it. Panic over.

Tell me what else is in short supply and I’ll check it out when I go there next.

When we had our bedroom refurbed late last year, the plasterer had big trouble finding board, bonding and skim coat.

Speaking to him recently, he is still facing supply issues that mean he can't do all the jobs his customers demand of him.

What’s all this cobblers I keep hearing about material shortages in the building trade? I’ve just come back from B&Q in Romford and I couldn’t see any shortages. I’m sure I’ve heard people on here talking about the scarcity of plaster and cement. They had loads of it. What’s the problem?

View attachment 243292 View attachment 243293

Mottie can only see as far as he can look therefore the moon is made out of cheese.

Sponsored Links
Back