Building wardrobe in a recess - how to finish it properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to create a built-in wardrobe in a recess in the main bedroom shortly and wondered if anybody here could offer some advice?

The main bedroom has a recess on one wall, which is where the wardrobe will be situated. I'll be creating a frame by using wood attached to the brick walls either side of the recess at the front and adding 2 internal doors to open into the bedroom. I'm not using sliding doors because there is more than enough room in the bedroom to accomodate the doors opening. Anway, the ceiling height is greater than the height of the doors so I need to fill the gap between the ceiling and the doors. I was planning to bridge the gap building a frame and using some plasterboard or contiboard or something and then wallpapering over it to hopefully create a seamless finish

BUT(!)

The OH wants to paint those walls rather than paper, so I need to have a much better 'naked wall' finish than I was counting, so can anyone advise me on what I should do to make this work?

I will need to seal the gaps between the existing brick walls, the new frame, and the ceiling, but how do I do that in the most profesional way?

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back