fitted wardrobes help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gap of 2.4m & i'm hoping to build some fitted wardrobes using 15mm contiboard floor to ceiling. I've ordered 4 doors which are 49.7mm & was wondering what distance to do the 4 vertical contiboards (carcass) apart to keep the gaps between the doors equal distance. I was going to put 1 left & right & 2 in the middle to accommodate the weight of the 2 doors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Most carcases are 18mm these days and the hinges are designed to suit so you using 15mm board will effect the way the doors fit, be aware of this because the doors from one unit to another will hit each other when closed. The back edges would sit wide of the carcase and the gaps between the doors will be larger.

You dont say what hinges you intend to use so I am assuming they are similar to the ones used on kitchen units, if this is the case then some adjustment is available in the design of the hinge to set gaps. Make sure that all panels fitted are perfectly level and in line front to back and side to side, this will then give you maximum adjustment for the hinges.

I will measure up mine when I get home and get back to you, The doors you have ordered are standard for a 500 or 1000 carcase so i would imagine from out side to out side these would be the dimensions. If you are going to hang the doors as you have suggested then you will have to either fit upright panels as follows:-

either :-

1) (Using 6 side panels) Left hand panel then right hand panel for first unit at 500mm to the outsides of the panels, left hand panel fixed against the previously fitted right hand panel then the right hand panel for the second unit at 1000mm to the outside of the panels, left hand panel fixed against the previously fitted right hand panel then the right hand panel for the second unit at 500mm to the outside of the panels. as I said I will double check the dimentions when I get home.

2) If you are only going to use 4 side panels then you will have to fit door stops for the 2 outer doors which will effectively take the place of the unfitted panels using the same spacings as detailed above.

By using 15mm panels and not 18mm ones you will have to play around with the spacing to suit the 3mm losses.

Hi, the plan is to use 4 side panels (2 in the middle) and I'm going to use the kitchen type hinges 15mm board. So am I right in saying if I do 2 carcasses at 1000mm outside edge to outside edge and fit the left door to the outside edge of the left carcass & the right door to the outside edge of the right carcass I just need to adjust the middle 2 doors so they don't catch. Wont the gaps be too much doing 1000mm carcasses?? I'm also going to fit top & bottom horizontal panels to act as the door stops

Sponsored Links
Hi, the plan is to use 4 side panels (2 in the middle) and I'm going to use the kitchen type hinges 15mm board. So am I right in saying if I do 2 carcasses at 1000mm outside edge to outside edge and fit the left door to the outside edge of the left carcass & the right door to the outside edge of the right carcass I just need to adjust the middle 2 doors so they don't catch. Wont the gaps be too much doing 1000mm carcasses?? I'm also going to fit top & bottom horizontal panels to act as the door stops

As mentioned, 1000mm carcase is exactly 1000mm, ditto 500mm,600mm etc. Make your panels this far apart on the outer edges and they will look ok.

The exterior dimension at say 1000m are for materials generally 18-20mm thick so using 15mm will produce larger gaps where they meet as kitchen style hinges are designed for thicker material.Contiboard is also very weak for fixing that type of hinge too.

When you come to buy your hinges get ones with a +3mm mounting plate this will make allowance for the 15mm carcase and you won't have to faff about trying to space the doors.

Jason

18mm material is usually used for kitchens, 15 or 18 for bedrooms.
15mm is fine, make the carcass normal size but make sure you get the correct mounting plate as suggested by Jasonb. The plates are thicker and make the door spacing correct.

If your using contiboard then i assume its from B&Q. im not sure if they do the different mounting plates, and if they do im guessing they will be expensive.

Yeah I'll be getting the wood from b&q (15% off weekend) and I'll probably try scewfix for the hinges. Thanks everyone for your help :)

SF won't do the thicker plates, try ironmongery direct

No you can't make the carcase a few mm narrower as the hinge is still fixed to the inside and allows the door to cover an 18mm carcase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back