How is this bespoke wardrobe compared to IKEA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you pls help me with this?

I have a quote for a bespoke wardrobe. Roughly it would cost twice as much as a comparable IKEA wardrobe. And I was wondering in the long term, which is a better option.

This is the estimate:

Carcasses to be made with 18mm white mdf
Wardrobe units to be fitted with vinyl wrapped doors.
DoosS to be fitted with handles and concealed soft closing hinges.
Infill trims to be supplied and fitted to walls, floor and ceiling

My sincere thanks,

Sponsored Links
Without drawings hard to compare, made to measure can allow more usuable space but only if designed correctly, not point paying twice as much just to copy an Ikea wardrobe.

Thank you for your kind reply. Do you know what kind of materials are used for IKEA wardrobe? Is it also mdf?

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion 2x the amount is too cheap to get an item made to the same or similar finish to a good standard

the tools and skills involved would be 3 to 4 times the price

you need to remember ikea buy the units in there millions and the completed delivered unit will be cheaper than the material costs alone

in my humble opinion 2x the amount is too cheap to get an item made to the same or similar finish to a good standard

you need to remember ikea buy the units in there millions and the completed delivered unit will be cheaper than the material costs alone
That's entirely dependent on the price of the wardrobe though!

When I was making furniture I used to get asked this for sort of thing all the time. I didn't make copies in any case. It wasn't what I did, but I used to point out to people that (as big-all says) the cost of materials alone is often more than the manufactured unit cost.
If you're happy with the way the Ikea units look, I can't really see the made up units being that much different in quality, assuming similar materials etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back