Buildings insurance - drains and sewers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum, but cant see anything specific to drains and sewers.

Problem with the toilet being slow to flush this week. Did a bit of my own investigating today by lifting the manhole which is about one metre from where the toilet soil pipe leaves the bathroom.

Shock horror, when I flush the loo, very little water runs into the manhole and I am suspecting a collapsed pipe. Another clue was the appearance of a worm in the trickle of water which would indicate that the pipe is open to the soil.

I have booked a drainage expert to come and have a look tomorrow but I guess this is going to be an expensive excavation job.

My question is, does home buildings insurance normally cover this sort of thing? I have checked my policy and it just refers to 'fixtures' and 'fittings' Are drains fixtures? The only direct reference to drains is that the policy does not cover cost of unblocking where there is no damage to pipework.

As its sunday the insureance company are closed so will have to call them tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
I guess that each individual insurance policy will have different definitions as to whats covered and whats not. I managed to claim for a collapsed pipe section within the grounds of my property, the claim and work went through painlessly. I'd definitely contact your insurers and see what they say. Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
If it serves just your house and goes straight to the road......you`re ok...but if it serves you and others it`s a private sewer and you`ll find a can of worms to compliment the original one ....can`t say too much as I`m in a dispute @ the moment :oops: just google private sewer :eek: Tho to be fair if you`ve got a good quality insurer they should pay and you`ll only pay a small excess.....under £100 possibly....good luck

Had the drain jetted today which cleared a whole pile of s..... (well you know what i mean!). However the chap who did it also thought that there was some pipework damage due to the fact that water was going 'somewhere' but not into the manhole.

So it looks like an excavation job.

Called the insurance company and they confirmed that it was claimable.

A simple blockage is not claimable but a blockage caused by broken pipework is claimable as long as it has not been caused intentionally.

The ins co have there own approved contractors and are sending someone round tomorrow to have a look.

Bugger .... Just spent last weekend digging up my garden to replace a broken section of drain. I could have got someone to do it for me!

but you saved your excess on the claim and possible premium rise ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back