Buildings Insurance Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an ongoing insurance claim caused by water damage.
It's mainly cosmetic but the central heating system did require replacing. The repair works carried out by the Insurance companies builder have been dragging on for ages and although the heating system was only completed about 13 months ago, the builder has still not completed all the decoration work.
Recently, a problem arose with the central heating system and the builder is saying as this was completed more than 12 months ago by their subcontracted heating engineer they are not responsible as its outside the 12 months guarantee.
My question is, is this the case or is the builder being unreasonable?? If its not the builders responsibility, should it still be for the insurer to rectify considering the claim is still active and me having used the central heating system for over a year now.
Many thx in advance

Sponsored Links
How much decorating work did you expect ?
Insurance Companies normally will only pay out on that which was damaged by a direct result of the original Claim ,
You cannot expect them to totally redecorate a room .
The second problem seems to be another problem not connected to the first .

Apologies, I seem to have confused you. All the works (cosmetics and heating system) had been agreed with the insurance assessor at the outset of the claim. If they install a new heating system but take an age to complete their other works and the claim is still active, I would have thought they still had some responsibility for the works they have completed??

You cannot expect them to totally redecorate a room .
I had a claim in 2010 for a leaky roof. It was declined, but they coughed up £400 to redecorate.

OP: Yes. You need to talk to your insurance co. and if you get no joy, contact the ombudsman.

Sponsored Links
Until it’s all finished, surely the claim is still open? Get in touch with the insurance co as the job is not finished.

Guys,
Thanks, exactly what I thought, as the claim is still open they are still responsible.

Back