Mobile phone insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a con.

Lost my phone last week so i called my provider (its a colour) on their 07973 number and reported it lost/stolen as i had their insurance.
Was told i need a police claim number. ok no prob.
call back on the 07973 number (wait 5 minutes)
file the claim..
how was it lost... i dunno i say if i knew that i wouldnt have lost it.
i remember having it at x time etc..
ok we'll file the claim and the insurers will respond.
2 days later.. call back..
sorry claim will not be honoured as you' didnt show due care'
what i want to know is how can you lose something AND show due care?

surely this is a massive con.

oh but you can have a replacemnt phone for £120.
i say how can i make calls without a phone.. can i cancel my contract so that i'm not liable for the £25 a month line rental
No sir you change your contract after 3 months. to £12 a month
so i still have to pay for a contract that i cannot use unless i pay 3x25 +(12x6) or 120 for a phone...
surely thats extorsion or blackmail....

Sponsored Links
I don't know how it is possible to lose something and still show a duty of care.

Perhaps you should ask them.

I get round this problem by never spending more than £30.00 on a PAYG handset.

This ensures that when I drop it/ lose it/ or it falls in the bath I never worry about the replacement cost.

Just weigh up how many handsets you have damaged/lost/etc.. over the last X years, and how much you have spent on insurance for those phones in that time. If you want to, you can put a similar sum per month aside to pay for a new handset if the worst happens. At least then you're not lining their pockets.

Or another option: don't go to your phone provider for insurance, but buy a policy independently. These can work out much better value, but whatever policy you buy, check what you get for the money and always compare like with like.

securespark said:
or it falls in the bath .

Don't write it off if this happens, my samsung went through the washing machine switched on nearly 2 years ago. I left it to dry out for a few days and it still works to this day!

dabaldie said:
What a con.

Lost my phone last week so i called my provider (its a colour) on their 07973 number and reported it lost/stolen as i had their insurance.
Was told i need a police claim number. ok no prob.

If you lost it, how come you got a police claim number? Sounds to me that it was stolen then? Perhaps wrong choice of words when calling the coloured provider, couldn't you have said it was stolen?
Or am I missing some point?

Sponsored Links
for all phones that are lost or stolen they require a police claim number.
it makes no difference.. just like you would get a reference number if you lost your dog.
apparently it is manadatory before they can block the phone.

You still have to report it as a missing item to get a number for insurance. My wife let our son play with hers a couple of years ago and it broke - I thought that I'd phone up the insurance and claim it as lost, but they told me to get a missing item number from the police, which I assumed would be a simple case of getting a bored operative to give you a number (like they do if you have a burglary !!) but instead was subject to a 20 minute grilling about colour, identifying marks, where lost, time, weather conditions, blah, blah blah !!

Then the insurance wanted an excess that was larger than just cancelling the contract, so I just got another deal and a free phone from somwehere else instead. Mobile Insurance is probably the least worthwhile of all of the spurious insurances available these days.....

Cheaper option would be to buy a cheap PAYG phone hopefully on the right provider (although it should cost no more thana tenner to unlock a phone with a different provider) chuck the SIM card that came with it, and get them to send you a new "coloured" SIM card to allow you to continue your contract

Havent got one dont want one Due ( I ) Care :?: :LOL: :LOL:

petewood said:
securespark said:
or it falls in the bath .

Don't write it off if this happens, my samsung went through the washing machine switched on nearly 2 years ago. I left it to dry out for a few days and it still works to this day!
Most people use the menu to cleanup messages on their mobiles. ;) and that's a pretty good standby time!

i knew someone who once lost their phone and they were told they couldnt claim. he told them that he wanted a refund of insurance for the last X years he has been with them. his reason was there isnt any point in insurance if there not gonna do anything. once threatened with legal action they soon had the phone replaced

andrew2022 said:
his reason was there isnt any point in insurance if there not gonna do anything

Doesn't work like that.

Insurance is just that - a "just in case" - do you think you can claim back your car insurance just because they refuse to cover you for, for example, leaving the keys in?

securespark said:
andrew2022 said:

Doesn't work like that.

Insurance is just that - a "just in case" - do you think you can claim back your car insurance just because they refuse to cover you for, for example, leaving the keys in?

he had lost the phone, and the contract did say that he was covered, under the circumstances. and since they didnt want to replace the phone then why have the insurance

securespark said:
andrew2022 said:

Doesn't work like that.

he had lost the phone, and the contract did say that he was covered, under the circumstances. and since they didnt want to replace the phone then why have the insurance

Sponsored Links
Back