Mobile phones

L

LooPrEvil

I am looking for some advice, and wondered if any forum members can offer any help.

My mobile contracts ends in March and I have given notice to the provider that I may terminate the arrangement (I have to give at least one months notice).

They have offered me a new contract, but my mobile is still in excellent condition, so I do not really want a new phone. Has anybody else been in this position and researched which companies offer best value, without paying for a new phone?.

I would be looking for between 400 and 600 minutes and 1000 or more texts per month, and possibly internet access.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
GiffGaff. Best deals about on a month by month basis (ie no long contract). They're actually part of O2 and run on the O2 network. An example of one of their offers:

* 600 minutes
* Unlimited texts
* Unlimited Internet

For £20 a month.

You simply sign up for a free Sim Card. They send it out to you, you register it, bob's ya uncle. And yes you can transfer your old mobile number over.

http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

im with virgin and get 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1000 minutes to other virgin phones and 1GB of internet per month for £15, top deal i think

Sponsored Links
GiffGaff.
* 600 minutes
* Unlimited texts
* Unlimited Internet

For £20 a month.
The tesco sim only deal is cheaper than that and also on o2. I pay £10 month for a similar deal. It may be 100 mins less, but it is unlimited texts/net. I had to go to the instore tesco phone shop to get the deal.

If you stay with the same company for so long, you will eventually end up never paying them!

I get a new phone and contract every 12/18 months depnding on the phone model. The old phone gets sold on ebay, which pretty much pays my contract for the next phone....ok not all of it, but I always get a good return as i hagle and get the best phone possible. My new phone was an extra £150 plus the contract....after a lot of haggling I got the phone free and free internet.

12 Months time it will be sold on ebay and pay and lot towards my next contract!

hi lou, i've been with 3 for a number of years now and find them quite competitive, just google 3 and their official site should come up and have a look at their tariffs, one thing to bere in mind is if you do change supplier and want to keep your old phone you may need to get it unlocked, i did one recently, cost me £10

Look around for the best deal that suits you. Then go back to your current phone co, tell them what you have found, and see if they can match it. They often do, and saves the hassle of changing.

If you need your present phone unlocking to any network, you only have to ask your service provider. They can't refuse to give you the unlock codes. I was with Vodafone on contract and asked for the codes to unlock the phone to any network. The code and full instructions how to unlock it arrived within 10 mins via email.

O2 will give a cash alternative to a new phone, so ask if your provider will do this

Or get the best free phone that you can, and then sell it on

Check out a SIM only deal - Tesco or O2 have the best deals currently IIRC - and either a one month rolling contract or 12 months so you are not tied in for too long

Blasphemous mentioned Giff Gaff were worth considering. They certainly appear to offer good value and you can also call 0800 / 0845 numbers using your monthly allowance.

Unfortunately they do not seem to have a call centre so I am struggling to find out how you set up a monthly contract, and how easy it is to cancel if you wish to change supplier (how long are you tied in for?).

I did apply for, and received the Sim Card.

As you do not appear to have a contract with Giff Gaff I am struggling to understand how they charge for calls outside of the package you select (ie 0845 / 0870 / numbers abroad ect).

Sponsored Links
Back