Mobile phone jargon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to get another mobile phone as my Qrange Pay as you go Samsung J700 is playing up. Don't mind paying for monthly plans

What is the difference between 250,500 or 750 MB internet? Is it the speed of the connection?

What's the idea of WiFi? Isn't that internet anyway?

I mainly need it for texting, internet and GPS would be useful

Will need a calender/dairy and - I'm assuming they all have this?

Have noticed some are Swapables whatever that is

You can tell I'm old :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its not the speed, its the amount of data you can use per month

500 is the average from most contracts, and the majority of people wont use that much unless they watch lots of videos or applications that use lots of data.

Wifi is high speed internet that is used over radio frequency, it means if you go somewhere that has wifi, you can connect to that for faster internet, some are free in public places. You can also use it from your home.

The 250MB, 500MB and 750MB is the limit of data you will be able to receive within your package with out being charged extra. If you exceed your agreed limit you will acquire addition costs.

WIFI means that you can connect to a wireless network instead of connecting via your phone signal. If you have wireless internet at home for instance then you will be able to use this instead of using your internet allowance (see above).

Orange do swappables which I think are bolt ons which you can swap free of charge monthly.

you can also use wifi in some coffee bars, Wetherspoons, Tesco and other places that like to cosset their customers. You might be limited to 30 minutes free use, or you might have to sign up and pay per use.

If you are a BT customer you may get an allowance to use some BT wifis free. Not clear how it works.

Sponsored Links
Another tip if you're switching away from the network you are with at the moment - check the network's coverage in the areas you spend most of your time. I recently found a good deal on Three as pred suggested, but their coverage where I live and work is just about zero - so no good for me at all.

Most network's websites have maps showing their coverage performance across the country, but it'd also be useful to ask someone you know who is on that network to get an actual feel for how good the coverage is in your area. As far as I can tell the maps seem to be pretty accurate - but you can't beat hearing it from the horses mouth - so to speak....

mas

are you happy with orange?

If not, you can "port" your number to another provider. Don't think you have to give up your number just because you're moving networks.

Are you PAYG or contract?

If you're contract and it has expired, you may well be able to get a new handset FOC. Give Orange a bell and ask.

Sponsored Links
Back