Mobile phones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a new mobile working on o2 pay as you go..The phone is a nokia 6230i and is very nice but every time i end a call or send a text i imediatly recieve a text informing me of my remaining credit.I dont mind getting message as i got it on my old phone but my old phone displayed message without any noise.My new phone displays message after making my message alert tone.Does anyone know how to stop this without turning off message alert tone completly...

Sponsored Links
Humph said:
Recently bought a new mobile working on o2 pay as you go..The phone is a nokia 6230i and is very nice but every time i end a call or send a text i imediatly recieve a text informing me of my remaining credit.I dont mind getting message as i got it on my old phone but my old phone displayed message without any noise.My new phone displays message after making my message alert tone.Does anyone know how to stop this without turning off message alert tone completly...

get used to it wait till you get o2 ringing you 4 times a week trying to offer you special offers.

I was with 02. I asked them to turn off that feature at their end. No problem!

Talking of 02 ringing me, I got a call from them just the other day, asking if I wanted a special package.

Trouble was, I'd been ported to Virgin for 14 months............

Humph, I'm on 02 and have had this problem with my last two phones. I even went into the 02 shop and they rang 02 for me - apparently on certain models nothing can be done :evil:

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the forthcoming hijack, but anyway, is it possible to port the number from a contract phone to a new Pay-As-You-Go ??

johnny_t said:
Sorry about the forthcoming hijack, but anyway, is it possible to port the number from a contract phone to a new Pay-As-You-Go ??
yes. done it before, only to move back to contract 2 months later and get a new number :oops: :rolleyes:

Good. This is my situation - The local playgroup has an O2 contract mobile which is mostly only used for incoming calls, and so I think they are better off moving to PAYG instead. However, because that is the number parents have, they do not want to go changing number if they can avoid it.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step idiot's guide to what needs to be done to move from the contract to a PAYG arrangement (bearing in mind that O2 themselves are showing no willingness to help in this situation). Also, bear in mind that if it all goes wrong, you know who will be held responsible.

yes. ring o2 and ask for a PAC code and to terminate the contract next billing period.

ring your chosen PAYG network provider and ask them to port a number from O2 - they will ask for the PAC code from O2. Might take a couple of days for the PAC to work IIRC.

Humph said:
I have exactly the same phone, the same network, and the same problem. It's really getting on my tits now, the phone plays my message tone (in my case Madonna!) after every call or text just to tell me my remaining credit.

Si, is it really as simple as phoning o2 and asking them to disable it? Only hassle is, as far as I know the pay-as-you-go helpline on o2 is something daft like 50p a minute....?

With Virgin, the calls are capped at 10p.

Voicemail is free, and if you don't use your phone frequently, Virgin will reconnect you free.

I found this out when Mrs Secure (who uses her phone very infrequently) found her 121 sim not working. I rang them, and they said that as it had not been used for X days, it was blocked. With 8 quids worth of credit on. And to unblock it, they wanted a tenner. Needless to say, I told them where to insert their sim card!

Bought a Virgin sim off ebay for £4 inc £5 calls and ported a number from an old sim card I wasn't using.

Im on an old Orange tariff that they scraped bt cant stop mine until I cancel

They have stopped oing it now because it didnt make them any money..all I pay for is the calls, no contract...no monthly fee...no expensice PAYG prices

8.5 a minute 4p a minute after 8 o clock

Ignore the telesales people..they start off with saying..'ive just checked and found you due for an upgrade'..then ask you what what name is!!??..so if they have just 'checked' they would surely know..

Mugs

Sponsored Links
Back