Mobile phone

.....My Australian friend has a UK phone and I have trained him not to throw the SIM away each year.

If you've had to 'train' him not to throw the sim away, he sounds like a really thick person and should probably not be trusted to make such a long trip unaccompanied each year. How many years did the 'training' take before he finally got it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Similar to the very first PAYG mobiles from One 2 One.
Remember those! Expiring credit, per minute billing and poor reception.
I used to sit in the car looking at the display (good signal showing) and then there would be a notification of voicemail....
I remember before the digit 7 was added, my one2one number began 0958.
I did a stupid thing giving up my one2one contract.
I had free evening and weekend calls. Apparently the t's and c's one2one drew up for these contracts did not include a clause where they could alter the terms of the arrangement, meaning that there are still some folk on legacy contracts with one2one (taken over by T Mobile, now under the wing of EE) enjoying free evening and weekend calls. There have been cases of the company allegedly offering large sums of money to such customers to relinquish their contracts.

Last edited:
Many, many, many years ago I in the early eighties I used to sell secondhand mobiles. Made very little on the phone but big money on the contract commission. Standard contract back then was £50 connection charge, £25 per month line rental and 50p per minute or part minute for calls. Standard contract length was 5 (yes, five) years. No such thing as texting back then. Only two networks - Vodafone and Cellnet. Commission - £600+ It didnt matter in those days if a phone was registered as having bad debt or marked as stolen on one network - the other network would take it on and still pay commission. Quite often you'd get someone run up a massive debt on Vodafone, knock them and we'd reconnect them to Cellnet or vice versa - double bubble! My first phone was a Mobira talkman transportable and I paid £1,575 for it. Second phone a Mobira Cityman 1320 - paid £1,200 for it. I still have both of them along with many others in my collection. I still have my memorable 'Gold' number issued to me by Cellnet in 1985 starting with 0860 - now 07860. We could reprogramme and clone any phone and enjoy free calls at anytime to anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
Back