Mobile phone insurance

What a con.

Lost my phone last week so i called my provider (its a colour) on their 07973 number and reported it lost/stolen as i had their insurance.
Was told i need a police claim number. ok no prob.
call back on the 07973 number (wait 5 minutes)
file the claim..
how was it lost... i dunno i say if i knew that i wouldnt have lost it.
i remember having it at x time etc..
ok we'll file the claim and the insurers will respond.
2 days later.. call back..
sorry claim will not be honoured as you' didnt show due care'
what i want to know is how can you lose something AND show due care?

surely this is a massive con.

oh but you can have a replacemnt phone for £120.
i say how can i make calls without a phone.. can i cancel my contract so that i'm not liable for the £25 a month line rental
No sir you change your contract after 3 months. to £12 a month
so i still have to pay for a contract that i cannot use unless i pay 3x25 +(12x6) or 120 for a phone...
surely thats extorsion or blackmail....

i dont agree, if you are lazy and leave it on the front seat of your car, or keep leaving it on tables in pubs etc you are not taking reasonable care of their product and cant expect them to replace it, however there must be times when it is genuinely lost, from a hole in a bag or jacket pocket etc which is reasonable to expect insurance to cover, accidental damamge is the same, if it falls out your overall pocket into a cistern you were fixing, it wasnt meant but happened (to me) but if you leave it down on a scaffold and accidently kick it off breaking it, which is an accident which is careless (both careless probably) its an insurance firms job not to pay, keep at them,, and ask for a replacement sim, and stick it in another phone, i have phone insurance through my bank account which covers accidental damage and loss, as long as reasonable care is taken (thats the debate bit) it has £100 excess as we both have iphones

Sponsored Links
It is the most difficult to claim on and not worth the cost.
Have the phone covered by your household insurance, if it is expensive or as mentioned put a bit aside each month instead.

so they cancel claim over the telephone do they?

dont stand for it, get a copy of your policy, read it and understand the wording, ps ask them to put it in writing why they are refusing the claim.

typical ploy with insurance companys - dont stand for it.

Ask them for the contact details of the ombudsman which they have to give you. If it works anything like it does in my line of work (double glazing insurance) it costs us (the insurance company) about £600 to fight any claim that goes to the ombudsman, normally if the claim is for less than that we just approve the claim as its not worth the hassle

Sponsored Links
Kirkgas why did you drag a thread up from 2005?

My wife lost her phone her phone last year, it fell out of her pocket somewhere in a 50acre field. She phoned her contract provider (the same colour as yours). They asked her what had happened so she told them, they asked if she thought there was any chance she would find the phone, she said we'd spent three hours looking for it but chances of finding it were very very slim. They sent a replacement phone within 48hours, no questions asked, no contact with police necessary. Surprised you've had a problem - unless we just got lucky....?

Sponsored Links
Back