Buildover Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Totally confused. Our drain leaves our house, crosses our sideway, runs into a manhole just on the other side of the fence, along a few feet parallel with the boundary, and then back onto our property. A drain survey has confirmed the neighbours on that side do not connect to the drains so it only serves us. It then runs across the width of our garden (where we would like to build an extension) and into the neighbors on the other side for about 4 metres where it joins the neighbour's drain and then connects to the sewer. The architect says private and no build over needed, building control will only review after we have started to dig foundations, I am reading the buildover docs and they seem to say the drain is no longer private once it crosses the boundary. I don't want to start digging if there could be issues (the drain is 2.8m deep, so could potentially be a lot more work and money). Any advice would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Only a DIY'er, so I can't give a definitive answer, but I believe as soon as the sewar pipe crosses a property boundary, it becomes the lateral responsibility of the sewage co.
...and even though it only serves you and recrosses your land, it is still their responsibility!
After all, who's to say that your neighbours couldn't join into that manhole?
Definitely worth confirming with your water co, though.

it becomes the lateral responsibility of the sewage co.
Again from a non-professional perspective, I agree - pipes outside your boundary, responsibility of the utility company, BUT my interpretation would be if the pipe only serves you (and no-one else) then it is all your responsibility for the parts on your land, so no build-over needed.

Sponsored Links
It is a general rule that sewer authorities take responsibility from the point a public sewer crosses the boundary to another property. But is this really a public sewer? I would argue not, so the crossing the boundary rule is moot and I think the sewer remains private.

Try sending the sewer authority a little sketch plan and ask if they would come out and repair the drain if it collapsed? My guess is they wouldn't.

Thank you all. I finally have an answer from the water company stating that the drains are public. Their explanation is, that if they leave the boundary they become public, as they re-enter the boundary they will stay public even though they are only serving us. Really frustrating as this could mean due to the depth (2.8-3 metres) and the extension length (13m) we are now unlikely to be able to build. Is it worth arguing or is the water company's view final?

Thank you all. I finally have an answer from the water company stating that the drains are public. Their explanation is, that if they leave the boundary they become public, as they re-enter the boundary they will stay public even though they are only serving us. Really frustrating as this could mean due to the depth (2.8-3 metres) and the extension length (13m) we are now unlikely to be able to build. Is it worth arguing or is the water company's view final?
How far will the footings be from the pipe?

Have you got a drainage map? Does it show the drains exiting and re-entering?

Does seem odd - Have you phoned the water company for a chat with the number they gave to building regs?

The drain will run through the extension, the parallel footings will be no closer than 1.5 metres.

We had the drainage map but it was not shown. We had a feeling there was something under there, so had a survey. Letter from the water company saying to call if we found anything, which we did (just to check they were private), and it’s all got really messy.

I have now been told we should not have called the water company as the only requirement should have been the map.

What water company are you with? Some wont let you build over 3m no matter what if its public. Have the water co sent building regs a letter stating they refuse permission? Being told on the phone doesn't mean anything... If they don't show on the drainage map its then up to the building inspector how they decide.

With Southern Water, they have confirmed by email the drains would be public, and I have looked at their documents online (including the depth & length clause).

Reading the guidelines i think building inspector can only certify if it’s 8 metres of drain being built over, anything over that needs to be a direct application to the water company. But I may be misinterpreting. All of their documents say you must go directly to them, but it seems this is not the case?!?

With Southern Water, they have confirmed by email the drains would be public, and I have looked at their documents online (including the depth & length clause).

Reading the guidelines i think building inspector can only certify if it’s 8 metres of drain being built over, anything over that needs to be a direct application to the water company. But I may be misinterpreting. All of their documents say you must go directly to them, but it seems this is not the case?!?
I'm dealing with southern water at the moment. My building regs company have written to them and let them know there is an extension being built. They then write back with a SW_BREGS(Number) document. It will either say "rejection of plans" or passing / passing with conditions.
Do you have this letter?

Yes, but our consultation was passed before we found the drains. How have you found dealing with SW?

Yes, but our consultation was passed before we found the drains. How have you found dealing with SW?
Not too bad, they denied permission at first as they thought the pipe was within 500mm. I did a quick sketch to prove it was not and they have Ok'd it with conditions. I'm not building over though!

When I did the back Southern Water didn't know about the pipe so it was straight forward with building control (private).

In the letter what have they put for the reasons they have denied it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back