Built in cooker hood for shallow cabinet - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so our kitchen has been installed and I now have an issue. Hob is under a line of wall units - they are Howdens and only 270mm deep but I realise now that the Elica hood I ordered is 290mm deep :eek:.

Had a search online and can't seem to see any that will fit in my shallow wall unit. Can anyone advise on how I resolved this - any brand that will fit?

(not impressed that the numpties at Howdens didn't mention that this could happen).

Sponsored Links
is it a hood, or a box that fits into a high bridging wall unit?

You can use any brand of unit. You just hang a matching howdens door on the front, and hide exposed edges with trim or coving.

Or, anybody who can handle a saw and a screwdriver can make a box up out of laminated chipboard. Some mail-order companies will do it for you, in any colour and dimensions you want, but the carriage charge may be high.

it's an Elica Eliplane so is supposed to be flush fitted to the bottom of the wall unit, which needs to be 320mm deep :cry: and not the 270mm of my wall units

so get a 320mm (or deeper) wall unit. It's quite normal to have a cooker hood or canopy that's bigger than the wall units. Of course you will be mounting it above head height so you don't bash your face in it while looking into the pans.

The Eliplane is pretty good.

Your dinner plates probably won't fit in those thin units.

Sponsored Links
if I can't get a slimmer hood that might be the only option. Howdens deeper wall units are annoyingly 390mm which would stick out further than I would want - any idea if Howdens hinge position means I could use them on another brands carcass?

UK cabinets are usually made with standard hinge positions. Ikea may be different.

If necessary, you use the holes in the door for the hinges, and drill the cab to suit. cabinet has little holes, door has big.

If you or the fitter has a circular saw, the 390 cabinet can be cut down from the back, which won't show.

Or consider the bigger cabinets all round?

I have an Elica hood, think it's 500mm deep. No prob having a hood or canopy deeper than the wall cabs. It will be better for catching and expelling the steam and fumes, and is quite normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back