built in sliding wardrobe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
decided one of my bedrooms needs a revamp and decided to go for sliding doors, i have a good space in which i can create a 'built in' effect as the height is 200mm or so more than the doors and width also the same

im aiming for something like this:

the problem is there is a 20mm difference in height!! so the left side measuring from the floor to ceiling is 20mm less that the opposing right side

what is the best way to tackle this because i dont really want it to be noticable above the doors when you look at the wall and doors because that would look a mess

im a plasterer by trade but unfortunately taking down the ceiling and shimming to level is not an option

thanks

Sponsored Links
20mm should not be a problem, not very noticeably.Allowing for overlap you should be able to get 4 X 900mm doors in there.

I didnt think it would be but i have a similar setup at the mo with some old wardrobes built in and maybe its just me looking for it but it is definately noticable

im just wondering if reducing it from the bottom to say 10 mil and seeing how that looks

i wouldnt be able to do the full 20 mil because i would end up with a big lip at the bottom on one side but 10 mil i may get way with because its carpet thats butting up to it

You need to keep the floor fairly level as doors run on it, they can compensate a little for floor or ceiling out of true but if the door is tilted it will be even more obvious than the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
have the bottom rail 75-100mm off the floor on a bit off 3x2" or 2x2" with blocks every 12-16" inches for support and faced with a scribed panel to fill the gap

same up the top

have the bottom rail 75-100mm off the floor on a bit off 3x2" or 2x2" with blocks every 12-16" inches for support and faced with a scribed panel to fill the gap

same up the top
Won't that just give you something to trip over , stub your toe on every time you use the wardrobe? ;)

just assumed it was a wardrobe rather than a door way or walk in wardrobe :D

To be honest 20mm shouldn't be that noticeable, you need to know if the floor or ceiling is out of level for smooth running of the sliding doors, did mine a few months ago and my ceiling and floor level are way out, 48mm on the floor and ceiling! but doesn't really notice that much as I kept the top plinth and bottom wedge timber under the runners the same colour as the doors.

SDC15426.jpg

SDC15427.jpg

thanks guys i after measuring and measuring i dont think its going to be that noticable

i have one more slight worry

as the opening is going to be around 3 meters and not have a center support

is the standard cls studwork timber 3x2 going to be strong enough with the weight of the doors and also would you reccomend doing a full 3m piece or bracing 2 smaller pieces as the standard length round here is 2.4m without going to the timber yard and paying extortion for delivery or walking 5 miles with it

cheers

you fix it to the floor and ceiling at several points along its length

it can only be fixed above the length to the ceiling as its the opening for the doors otherwise i wouldnt get the doors in

unless im being thick and not understanding what you mean

The doors weight is on the floor, the top only guides them. It can be fixed to top of inner fittings as well as the ceiling.
I hid the upper track under a mdf pelmet [not very pretty to look at]decorated to match the walls.

Cheers pal get it now i do partitions almost weekly with work etc but everything is done to a spec and now getting round to my own room never been sure of the weight load
In theory it should be all weight on the floor but you never no until you ask

the pelmet looks ok in the pictures

(dont know how u got so many clothes in there haha)

I fitted some Stanley sliding doors to my built in wardrobes (Got them off Freecycle).

There was a similar height difference in my 1850 built house as both ceiling and floor were not level.

I ended up having to put a sloped plinth on the floor and given that the rest of the room had coving I used that so it did not show any difference at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back