Built-in wardrobes with sliding doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to put a set of wardrobes in my bedroom along one wall, and possibly an overbed cupboard too....but that's a separate question.

I've been looking at the Ikea PAX range which looks great but doesn't quite fit the dimensions I'm after, or it gets pricey when you add up all the bits.

The space is a simple one - square walls and ceilings, so I'd want something which is ~2300mm wide, ~600mm deep, and~2300mm tall. The width would be split in half to give 2 separate sections (one for me, one for the wife). Each would have a hanging rail and some shelves. I'd like to put sliding doors on for space saving reasons.

It seems like an achievable project. I need experienced advice on:

• Material choice
  • How to ensure cuts are straight (do I need a table saw?)
  • Building and hanging sliding doors. I'd like these to be quite stylish, perhaps with mirrors and contrasting wooden sections a bit like the Ikea ones
  • Fixing the structure to the wall

I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and experiences of similar projects.

Sponsored Links
You have one fundamental thing wrong.

You said "half for you half for the Mrs".

Shouldn't it be 2000mm for the mrs, 300mm for you?

Do you mean, in plasterboard up timber?

Shouldn't it be 2000mm for the mrs, 300mm for you?

You're probably right. My OCD requires that it's equal on both sides, but the reality is that she'll use 85% of the total space :LOL:

Do you mean, in plasterboard up timber?

I'm not sure what you're asking here (typo?). If you're asking whether the walls are plasterboard or timber, the answer is they are both plasterboard. Though the left side is an outer wall so is solid brick behind the plasterboard. The back wall is a partition wall so just plasterboard on timber. The right side will not be fixed against a wall other than at the back edge.

Hi
I want to put a set of wardrobes in my bedroom along one wall, and possibly an overbed cupboard too....but that's a separate question.

I've been looking at the Ikea PAX range which looks great but doesn't quite fit the dimensions I'm after, or it gets pricey when you add up all the bits.

The space is a simple one - square walls and ceilings, so I'd want something which is ~2300mm wide, ~600mm deep, and~2300mm tall. The width would be split in half to give 2 separate sections (one for me, one for the wife). Each would have a hanging rail and some shelves. I'd like to put sliding doors on for space saving reasons.

It seems like an achievable project. I need experienced advice on:

• Material choice
  • How to ensure cuts are straight (do I need a table saw?)
  • Building and hanging sliding doors. I'd like these to be quite stylish, perhaps with mirrors and contrasting wooden sections a bit like the Ikea ones
  • Fixing the structure to the wall

I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and experiences of similar projects.
Bit of a contradiction here sliding doors of any quality will be more expensive than an ikea wardrobe. Why not build in the unit and fit ikea doors, have done this in a few bedrooms.

Sponsored Links
That's a great idea, and I'm keen to give it a go.
I'm looking for tips on building the frames now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back