Bulb flicker and shimmer why and user cure with electronic switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 energenie mihome wifi switches, only 3 in use, and with some bulbs I get a shimmer or flicker, same bulb with a simple mechanical switch no problem, but not a dimming switch, just a neutral less electronic switch so I can use a remote control or phone to turn off/on, the switches make a click so clearly have a relay inside, the specification says 5 watt bulb size minimum.

So of the three in use one has a 12 watt BA22d bulb never had a problem, one has 3 x 4 watt GU10 bulbs every so often it shimmers, but most of the time OK.

The last one with these G9-small.jpg G9 bulbs when switched off it flashed, so fitted a load capacitor which stopped the flashing, it was a 5 bulb chandelier, so if one bulb swapped for a quartz it stopped the flicker on all, but then there was a colour temperature difference, so wife got 5 of these G9-big.jpg and flicker stopped, one failed within a day, temporary replaced with one of the originals, which now did not flicker, so she ordered 4 more, however intrigued as to why no flicker I started to dismantle, found an electrolytic capacitor after the full wave rectifier which clearly stopped the larger lamp from flickering, also found a dry joint, cured, so returned to service.

So is flicker down to switch or lamp? and why does fitting one tungsten stop flicker? It seems down to switch, or load on switch, but 11 watt is well over the 5 watt minimum, and every so often the 3 x GU10's start to flicker, be it due to volt drop hard to tell.

Clearly a bulb with a smoothing capacitor does not flicker, but neither does the smaller bulb when the load on the switch is increased.

So it seems to point to the switch, but looking at this forum it does seem all electronic switches that don't require a neutral have a problem. I selected a bulb from the chart published by the switch manufacturer as not causing flicker, but it did flicker.

OK for me cured, but this problem raises its head again and again, so how can one advise? Or more to point how does one find out which bulbs have an anti flicker capacitor in their design?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back