Intermittent problems with remote controlled light switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Nest and Energenie MiHome wall thermostat, TRV's, energy monitor, energy monitor with remote switch, extension lead, wall sockets, and light switches.

In the main the whole system works well, we can use phone, tablet or PC, but in the main use remote controls to turn on lights and in the main the remote control sockets also switch standard lights on/off.

However the wall light switches seem to click so assume they have a relay in them, they don't need a neutral and instructions say use dimmable bulbs. I have 5 of the light switches, one in each or 3 bedroom, and living room, at moment dinning room one has been temporary replaced and wife has tidied up so lost it.

So every so often the dinning room and living room lights would refuse to switch on, typical for computers, turn it off at RCBO and back on again, and they work again. enough other lights in living room not to be a real problem, this is why dinning room one was removed, to see if it was the slide in ceiling rose or switch causing problem.

Spare bedroom has worked A1 with a 12W BA22d bulb, in old house same switches also worked A1 with 12W BA22d bulb, my bedroom the GU10 bulbs flickered so swapped bulbs with kitchen and it stopped flickering. Wife's bedroom lights to start with would not turn off, had to fit a 4 uf capacitor on the light fitting and they then turned on.

Some times her bedroom works OK, some times bulbs flicker, since she has G9 bulbs I have no other lamp using them, so can't try swapping without buying new, so fitted with 5 x MiniSun 19833 3 Watt G9 LED Dimmable Capsule 3000K Warm White LED at £3 to £5 a bulb not a problem changing bulbs if it stops them flickering, but don't want to shell out on the off chance it will work.

So two points to the thread, one to see if anyone else has the same problem with MiHome light switches, and two if anyone has found a cure.

There is a Compatibility chart there are two G9 bulbs listed, both means around £25 to get bulbs which is a lot of money if they don't work any better.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back