Bulb gone or faulty lamp

Fred dropped a light globe on his foot and broke a bone.

It was a heavy light globe...... ( I'll sign myself out )

Sponsored Links
Fred dropped a light globe on his foot and broke a bone.

It was a heavy light globe...... ( I'll sign myself out )
Brilliant...

Well it was until the heavy/light light/lamp/bulb fell/dropped on the foundation/base/305mm/foot and broke/cracked/shattered and went out/extinguished/dulled.

By the way how is Freds broken/fractured osseous matter/bone

Again, we're down to context, but if he had been talking about his use of various tools (when working on vehicles), I would have a pretty good idea!

I don't really know why I confused my example in that way! It would have been more sensible to stick with things electrical, and a direct equivalent of the example you gave - if I asked an electrician (who was going to do work on my electrical installation) what brand of sockets he/she recommended, or if the electrician asked me what type of sockets I preferred, I doubt whether either of us would be thinking that the other was talking about tools used in a workshop, plumbing fittings or artificial limbs!

As far as I am concerned, in terms of words like "lamp" and "socket" (and many others - even "drug"), it is nearly always EITHER clear (from context) what is almost certainly the intended meaning OR that there is uncertainty about intended meaning (hence a clarification needs to be requested). However, anyone who wants an argument can argue about that, since - very rarely, it will 'go wrong' :)

Kind Regards, John
Actually I seriously assumed you were referring to the cigarette lighter socket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Just come back to see if anymore answers and was shocked to find 3 pages,then started reading didn't know what I'd started off

Actually I seriously assumed you were referring to the cigarette lighter socket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
As I said, I think that I made life far more difficult for myself than was necessary, by bringing the car mechanic into the equation :)

As I also said, if we stick to discussions between electricians and clients about 'sockets', I don't think anyone would dream that any of the non-electrical 'sockets' were being talked about. Depending on context, it might sometimes be necessary to obtain clarification as to whether one was talking about sockets on 'power' and/or 'lighting circuits' or sockets for data/TV antennae etc. - but that would usually not be necessary.

Kind Regards, John

Update new lamps/bulbs fitted all working fine. think the lights has been running on one set since we moved in 20 years ago because its much brighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back