Bulb keeps blowing in workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well its a bedroom really which functions as a work shop. It has a pendant light and a bulb in it.

I am find bulbs only last a few weeks before they blow. I tried a halogen one and that blew after 5 weeks.

They do not flicker and seem to work fine. I replaced the lamp holder and flex 6 months ago thinking the old holder was worn and maybe arcing, but it hasn't solved the problem.

All the wiring in the rose junction is fine.

No other fitting in the house as this issue.

There is a dimmer switch in this room and I am thinking it must be that causing the issues, maybe its no longer regulating the voltage correctly? Although as I say it doesn't flicker or anything.

Should I just replace the switch and see if that solved it or could it be a more serious issue?

The dimmer is probably early 90's.

Edit all the bulbs I have used all they say can be used with a dimmer, I am not using energy saving ones, but just halogens and ek em incandescent ones (yes I know that is an illegal word these days)

Sponsored Links
Try removing the dimmer for a while and see if lamp life improves.

Dimming haolgen lamps willl shorten the life of the lamp as they need to operate at a very high temperature to prevent metal vapour from the filament condensing on the glass envelope.

Most dimmers modify the smooth sine wave of the AC voltage and introduce a sharp change of voltage 100 times a second even at "full" brightness. Many incandescent lamp have a coiled filament which acts like a very weak electromagnet but strong enough to make the coil vibrate very slightly. This vibration isn't a signifcant problem with smoothly changing AC voltage but can be when there are sharp changes in voltage waveform that cause the filament to jerk 100 times a second thus mechanically weakening the filament.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back