Bulge on bedroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, for at least a year there has been a bulge on my bedroom ceiling (see photos).
It doesn't feel wet or damp but i can push it in a bit. Not sure if the ceiling is papered or some sort of texture (house is only 10 yrs old).
My Dad went up on the roof but couldn't see anything obvious. Also went in the loft, the bulge is probably under the insulation but is in an awkward area where the roof meets the floor so can't really get close to see it properly.
Could it just be settlement or something more sinister? Who would i get out to look at it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No tanks in loft so must be a leak from roof perhaps. Although nothing obvious to be seen. Doesn't feel damp either so was hoping it was just settlement.
Is it something i should leave to see if it gets worse?

I'd say the leak is from the roof then. The damage doesn't look too bad at the moment, but i'd get the roof looked as soon as possible.
The ceiling looks as if it's been artexed, (yuk),, so any repair will mean either trying to match the artex, (more or less impossible), or get the ceiling plastered flat. Try your insurance company to see if you can claim for for the water damage/repairs.

Go into the loft in the dark, see if you can see some light, then check your roof from the outside, maybe a slipped or broken tile. Or could be flashing around a chimney.

Thanks. Will get into loft today to have a look. Have peeled some of the artex off and it is dry underneath so can't understand how its not damp or wet if its a leak? Behind the artex its almost like paper which is still a bit soft but can only be pushed so far before the surface is hard again. Will there be plasterboard behind it?

It maybe just a slow, very slow drip that has been dripping for a long while. Or it maybe coming from the chimney...

its almost like paper which is still a bit soft but can only be pushed so far before the surface is hard again. Will there be plasterboard behind it?
if thats the case it may not be a leak, it could be that the paper tape has dropped if so it would need cutting out and replaced looks like it wont be much either, a very easy job.

Ah, I'm hoping thats what it is then rather than a leak.
Can you please explain to me (as I'm not really up on these things) what paper tape is?
I think the ceiling is artexed (which peels off really easily at this bit - see photos).
Is the paper tape behind the artex and then plaster board behind it?
Was wondering if i should paint it white to disguise it and then maybe use caulking or polyfilla on it.
Have been up on roof today - couldn't see anything obvious.

It's a leak. Things don't drop of unless they get wet. It's just the sort of place to get a flashing leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back