Bullet roof leak. Felt over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We went for a rubber/bullet paint coated roof for our ground floor 6m extension flat roof. Builder was singing its praises. A year on, we are getting leaks in a few places. I took a look through a spot light hole and can see clearly that water is seeping through the joins in the boards. They've been seamed correctly using the tar like substance you're supposed to be using and the entire roof has been triple coated with bullet paint. I watched them do it and it looked like a good job. But I'm not so sure now, as the seams even show up through the final coating after some time which makes the whole thing look unsightly.

I was thinking of just felting it over. What do you think? Do we need to prep the roof by removing some bullet paint first? Or can the felt be laid on top without any issues?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You'll need to get confirmation from the product manufacturer for your proposed re-covering plan.

Also confirm that the actual problem does not have a simple remedy, instead of total re-covering.

Sponsored Links
In truth, the house has had some movement since the build and so it's not surprising some of the roof boards may have moved up/down enough to create tiny gaps between them. That's where I feel a felt roof would've been more forgiving. I fear if I repair a few sections, other leaks will spring up over time anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back