Bulls hit excuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of bulls hit excuses have you come across (or used!) for things not working or not being done etc.

We had our heating replaced recently (controls debacle to come later when I get round to refitting my CT907). The landlords contractor - Keepmoat - sent us a letter stating our heating system would be fitted on "28/3/2013"

Gas and wet sides fitted, but electrics plugged into 3 pin socket temporarily. Sparky came 5 days later (due to easter bank holiday).
When I called the foreman in and said we had in black and white that the system would be fitted on the 28th he said it had been.
I said it hadn't, the sparks still had to fit the controls. His excuse:

"The controls are not powered by water, are they?" :eek:
What a silly bunt. (Monty Python)

Sponsored Links
Simple question :
When the fitters left on 28th, was the heating system working and safe ?
The answer seems to be yes, so it was fitted and working on 28th. Not completely finished, but in and working.

Now, had they left you without heating or hot water over a long weekend then you'd have grounds for complaint.

The biggest failure is in communications. They should really have told you that the electrical side might not have been completely finished at the same time.

Now don't take this the wrong way - I don't know you or what you are like. But some tenants can be, staying polite, a bit over demanding or even downright unreasonable. Being a landlord doesn't mean you can defy the laws of physics (I've personally had one express an opinion that a boiler should break down, and if it does then it's automatically my fault), nor does it mean you can automatically get someone out to fix things faster than you could if it was your own house.

Unless the controls were fitted properly and working then it doesn't meet the requirement of the building regs, commissioning benchmark or Gas Safe registration criteria.

Unless the controls were fitted properly and working then it doesn't meet the requirement of the building regs, commissioning benchmark or Gas Safe registration criteria.

I agree with Simon. Charnwood is a regular and respected contributor, so I was surprised to read this. If I read it correctly, the spark HAS been and completed, albeit a bit late. (Don't forget the B Holiday) We have all had to do a temporary fix for some reason or other. Am I confused - is Charnwood not a merchant? If so, I am fairly confident that he hasn't supplied EVERY product on time.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I think the op should recieve several thousand pounds in compensation for the trauma and danger suffered by having his new installation powered off a plug socket for a few days. It riles me when genuinely gracious tenants are abused like this by ruthless swines of landlords fitting new equipment free of charge for them. Typical landlord taking the pish I say. I love tenants. They are always so reasonable and seem to have a good grasp of how things are in the real world, unlike us selfish home owners who just go out and pay for things ourselves.
Give the barsteeds hell old boy. They deserve it.

It was working by the appointed time, and you had it done for nowt, stop complaining

Am I confused - is Charnwood not a merchant? If so, I am fairly confident that he hasn't supplied EVERY product on time.
Charnwood WAS a merchant 'til he decided enough was enough in November and retired on a meagre pension.

Muggles & Mitch (What a comedy double act :rolleyes: ) Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to get what I will have paid for in the long run.
By the time I am eligible to claim Housing Benefit I will have paid roughly £150,000 with nothing to concrete (no pun) to show for it. What equity do you have in your homes?
Why do people think social housing is one long line of freebies?

Yes, the heating was working - the boiler was plugged into a 3-pin socket. That's not a gripe.

Yes, communication was the main problem.

My main gripe was the foreman's bulls hit excuse for the 'complete system' not being fitted on the communicated date.
The controls are not powered by water, are they?

Nobody seems to have grasped the point of my OP:
What sort of bulls hit excuses have you come across (or used!) for things not working or not being done etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back