Bunched cables, derating.

Sponsored Links
What kind of electrician won't install a cooker, or a shower, or a heater, or a light, or a doorbell transformer, or a fan, or..., or..., or... ?
I think the answer is "there is a cooker connection point on sale, there are no shower connection points on sale "
Don't you find that a totally bizarre attitude? Are you saying that he's prepared to run T+E to an appliance/equipment, but only provided it is 'separated' from the main house wiring by some (any) BS1363 accessory? Mind you, I'm not even sure that BS1363 even covers 'cooker outlet plates', does it?!

Kind Regards, John

Yes it is bizzare !

But understandable when so many electricians are taught to follow rules and ignore common sense evaluation of the situation.

Edit... That only applies to modern 5 day wonder trained "electricians"

Sponsored Links
But understandable when so many electricians are taught to follow rules and ignore common sense evaluation of the situation.
Not really, unless you can find any rules, which even if misinterpreted, would support the idea that an electrician may not connect a cooker.

Yes it is bizzare ! But understandable when so many electricians are taught to follow rules and ignore common sense evaluation of the situation.
There is no way that I would regard a person trained in that fashion as an 'electrician' - and I certainly would not let him anywhere near my electrical installation!

We're not to clear about the nature of your association with the matter under discussion, but I wonder if you have 'warned' the customer about the seemingly suspect nature (certainly very bizarre ideas) of this 'electrician'?

Kind Regards, John

There is the manufacturer's instruction that heatproof cable should be used.
I presume that's a reference to cookers and suchlike, onto which this discussion seems to have drifted, but the most bizarre aspect of the thinking of this "electrician" is, IMO, to be found by getting back 'on topic'...

There is a T+E lighting circuit protected by a 6A MCB. There are 8 or 10 runs of T+E going from a 'switch panel' to (I presume) lights of one sort or another. This person is not only unprepared to connect the lighting circuit directly to the swith panel, but wants to insert a 5A fuse in the path. I wonder what cable he wants to run from the FCU to the panel - T+E or flex?

Can you see any logic in any of that?

Kind Regards, John

We're not to clear about the nature of your association with the matter
The client asked a mutual friend who passed it on to me.

I wonder if you have 'warned' the customer
All I have said is that 8 (or 10) 1mm² cables limited to total of 6 amps will be safe when bunched.

I wonder what cable he wants to run from the FCU to the panel - T+E or flex?

Flex

I wonder what cable he wants to run from the FCU to the panel - T+E or flex?
Flex
I'm trying hard to understand how this man's mind works. What, I wonder, is the argument for having to have a short length of flex in the middle of lighting circuit which is otherwise (both upstream and downstream of the flex) wired in T+E?

Kind Regards, John

There is the manufacturer's instruction that heatproof cable should be used.
I presume that's a reference to cookers and suchlike,
Yes, the CCU but no SCU.

This person is not only unprepared to connect the lighting circuit directly to the switch panel, but wants to insert a 5A fuse in the path.
No, and I have difficulty seeing logic (or sense) in a lot of people's behaviour.

This person is not only unprepared to connect the lighting circuit directly to the switch panel, but wants to insert a 5A fuse in the path.
No, and I have difficulty seeing logic (or sense) in a lot of people's behaviour.
... and now we're also told that he wants that bit in the middle of a T+E circuit to be wired in flex! It does rather seem that he has got it into his head that there is something magic about T+E which means that it must not be connected to anything other than a 'proper electrical accessory' (or shower!).

As you say, it is often difficult to see logic or sense in many people's behaviour. However, in the present context, and given this inexplicable thinking/behaviour in at least one respect, I certainly wouldn't be inclined to employ, or recommend, this person, would you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back