Bungalow Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 3-Bedroom Detached Bungalow (with attached garage), built in 1929 from red brick. Frankly, the brickwork is past recovering and rendering is the only option.

What should we expect when we start to call people in to quote on it? What procedure will they use? What questions should we ask?

There is a part on the rear corner of the bungalow that has been built using block, someone mentioned that there may be an issue where the blocks and red bricks meet, in terms of cracking and so on, is this likely?

Is it sensible to render beneath the damp course? I've seen some bungalows in my area rendered with a bell-drip at the damp course.

Is there an ideal time of year to do this work? I'm assuming that
I'm guessing that this work is going to cost a few G's, so want to make sure we get it right, therefore I appreciate any guidance.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine all they will do is PVA the lot, and use a sand and cement based render. For a bungalow you wont need scaffold which is quite expensive as a rule so your job shouldnt cost much. I would estimate about £1200 topps. Am I wrong anyone?

Well, thats great. Thanks for all your guidance folks. Really set my mind at ease and given me a great insight into the art of rendering.

I feel well equipped to bombard those quoting on this job with useful and productive questions. :D :D :D

(thanks for your input DaSpozz)

I wouldn't think you would get it done for £1200. There is the question of how easy access is, where can you mix materials, how many windows,doors, and you may not need scaffold but will need something to get up to soffat height. Not just a matter of pva-ing brickwork, may need to put a "splatter-dash" mix all over to control suction. Then if your putting s/steel bell-drips and s/steel beads on, they are not cheap. You may also need sheet/sheets of ex-panding metal to put over areas that have cracked or are liable to crack at a later date. So to think it may cost £1200, I think may be a bit naive, I would budget up to £3000, with out seeing the job. But you are going to get a few quotes, so make sure that you get a reference off them,by that I mean ask them to see some of their previous work .Then ask them what they intend to do and let us all know on here. Don't part with any money "Up-Front " in any circumstances....

Good Luck ;)

Sponsored Links
Well whatever you decide to do, I'd be interested to know what quotes you got!

Id get at least 3 different ones to make sure.

I've had quotes for mine which is a 3 Bed Semi for £1750 and thats if I remove the current pebble dash myself, but roy is right there are probably more factors to take into consideration than i've accounted for.

OK, I had expected the entire Bungalow to have to be meshed. There will also need to be some form of scaffolding needed for the gable ends I would imagine.

It has been suggested that we should get our Fascia's and Soffit's replaced before rendering, to my surprise, though the reasoning is logical.

The Bungalow is approximately 11 metres by 8.5 metres, with 2 bays on the front and an integral garage.

I certainly didn't expect the job to be done sub £2k, infact I was thinking that I may see quotes ranging from £3000 to £5000.

Hi Christian and Becky, I had a similar problem with my house, the bricks in some places had perished I had alot of quotes rangeing from £28/ square yard to £137/ square yard. The lower amounts were for sand and cement which as I now understand will not last. Then I found A product with fireglass in it, one company quoted the £137 for this which is far to much but for the exact same material I found A very good company called Top Coat I managed to get my house rendered for £52/ square yard with A 10 year guarentee. As far as sand and cement is concerned the guy who came to see me when he had done telling me about the product said "you get A 10 year guarentee with sand and cement and I will eat my hat" he was right it doesn't exist.
I hope this has been a help, let us know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back