Bungs in central heating to allow rad valve replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
If i put a bung in the vent pipe in the central heating f&e tank and another in the cold feed from this tank to the boiler, will this allow me to change a couple of rad valves without draining down?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for rapid response. Presumably to create the vacuum I drain out some water. Can I then replace one rad valve then move onto another rad (I have 3 to replace for trv's) without any further vacuum issues? I'm thinking that air can get in whuile replacing the valves and affect the vacuum, or am I barking up the wrong tree with that idea?

when using bungs, you must only ever have the system open at one point or you will lose vacuum. So you can only take one valve off at a time and must close the other.

If you are doing lots of valves, you might as well drain down.

in this case you could add a sludge removing chemical a week or two beforehand and kill two birds with one stone.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much fellas. Good advice. I think its as well to drain down then. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back